What are these knife features called?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seans_potato_business

Senior Cook
Below is an image of a knife. I think that it's slightly serrated but I would like to know what the small lines are called. I use them to remove fruit zest when I need it.

ozETP9n.jpg

Looks like what we call a "Steak Knife" . We have several that I'm not that fond of but Mrs D uses them to cut lemons for her drinks. They don't work any better then that....and can't successfully be sharpened in my experience.

Oh and as Andy said.....serrations...hence serrated knives.

Last edited:
Was hoping this thread would contain something more complicated that I couldn't answer like what you call the raised ridge on a blade that pushes food away while you cut, or the name of the indentations common on cheap santoku knives or Mac Chef's knives to prevent foods (other than things like minced garlic) from clinging.

the name of the indentations common on cheap santoku knives or Mac Chef's knives to prevent foods (other than things like minced garlic) from clinging.
Those are called cullens and they are not just on cheap knives. There are some very expensive knives that use them as well.

Those are called cullens and they are not just on cheap knives. There are some very expensive knives that use them as well.

Thank you, and I agree that they're not just used on cheap knives: MAC for example. I was just implying that they're common on cheap santoku style knives so people could easily recognize what I was on about.

Back
Top Bottom