What is a tojiro yanagiba knife?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mari23

Assistant Cook
What is a tojiro yanagiba knife? Where can I purchase a quality product? My friend would like one ( I want to get it for him as a x-mas gift). I just dont want to disappoint him.

Tojiro is a brand of Japanese knife, they have a very good reputation for providing value for money products.
A yanagiba is a Japanese fish knife. Commonly called a sashimi knife.

As for getting one, that does depend on where you live.

What blade length you want is dependant on how large a fish is he planning to cut up. Plate sized fish can be done with a ~200mm blade, but for larger fish a 240mm or 300mm blade will make life a lot easier.

As the OP hasn't returned I wonder if we adequately answered the question? I feel I should point out the a traditional single bevel knife like an yanagi-ba is created in different versions for left-handers and right-handers. Be sure to order the correct one or he'll have a heck of a time using it correctly. A single bevel knife is generally sold semi-sharpened; the knife must be "opened" (the term used to describe the initial bevel creation, polishing of the blade road and creating of the cutting edge). A Tojiro intended for sale in the West may be fully sharped, I honestly couldn't tell you.

If your friend is cutting a lot of boneless, raw fish the yanagi may be a great choice, provided he's comfortable sharpening it. A sujihiki would probably be more user friendly (it's similar to a Western carving/slicing knife). I initially assumed that you knew what you wanted and merely wondered where to get one. Then I reread and noticed that you asked what one was...

If you have any questions beyond this feel free to ask.

Back
Top Bottom