What is the best cutting board to use with Gunter Wilhelm Knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fmraz1959

Assistant Cook
I have been using wood with my Gunter Wilhelm's but many people told me that I should be using bamboo. A friend of mine, who also has Gunter Wilhelm and loves them, says he will only use bamboo. Any opinions on this ? I looked on the Gunter Wilhelm web site and they recommend bamboo. Help !

Bamboo is considered to be about the kindest available material for knife blade edges. A sharpened edge will last longer with a bamboo cutting board.

A quality wood board is also a good choice as is the plastic poly boards. All these materials are soft towards the edge of the blade.

Avoid glass and marble like the plague.

I have been using wood with my Gunter Wilhelm's but many people told me that I should be using bamboo. A friend of mine, who also has Gunter Wilhelm and loves them, says he will only use bamboo. Any opinions on this ? I looked on the Gunter Wilhelm web site and they recommend bamboo. Help !

The best cutting board to use with ANY knife is a Sani-Tuff rubber board. After that, end cut woods so that the blade slides into the line of the grain and back out causing no damage to the steel and the board "heals" itself.

Buzz

I use the bamboo board that I ordered at the same time I bought my Gunters for vegetables (plain side) and raw meat (side with the moat). After using it, I always wash it down with anti-bacterial dish soap and hot water.

I have a maple board with a drainage ditch, which is oval and larger than my bamboo board, that I usually use for carving cooked meat.

But, the one I use the most is the plywood one that sits in a slot above my silverware drawer because it is extremely convenient to just reach down and yank it out.

No big deal..

I still use a simple "habitat" board - brown wood (unknown) but falt and easy to take care of. Cho Chop SLICE>

Back
Top Bottom