What non-mainsream knives do you covet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpaulg

Senior Cook
With money and availability no object what knives would you buy that are non-mainstream knives?

For me I covet the Goldhamster range from Eberhard Schaaf, and I'd crawl over broken glass to get one of their Chef's knives, even though I am a Sabatier man through and through when it comes to Chef's knives.

I'd like to own an s30V 8" cook's pattern knife. However I'm happy that I've finally managed to get my circa 1965 Wingen Othello 8" cook's knife to sharpen nicely. The Wingen is working quite nicely breaking down our 18lb Christmas turkey.

Well, since all this takes is a desire and an opinion, seems like a good place for my first post on the forum. I'd choose a custom 10" Chef's by Thomas Haslinger.

Barring that a 240mm Damascus Masamoto or Hattori would be just fine.

John in Boise

Last edited:
Phil Wilson fillet knives are mindblowing. Apparently he only makes a few knives per month. Are they super expensive?

I don't know about his fillet knives, but a 9" chef's was about $400 a year ago and the wait for a custom order is a year or so, or at least was. It could be longer now.

Buzz

I don't know about his fillet knives, but a 9" chef's was about $400 a year ago and the wait for a custom order is a year or so, or at least was. It could be longer now.

Buzz

Figured. Way too rich for my blood. Even if it wasn't , I'd not have the patience to spend that kinda money....and wait a year. :rolleyes:

Figured. Way too rich for my blood. Even if it wasn't , I'd not have the patience to spend that kinda money....and wait a year. :rolleyes:

I had first dibs on the 9" chef's I mentioned "if" he didn't sell it at a knife show in Oregon last Spring. He sold it of course. I was mainly interested in the fact that it was made of Uddeholm AEB-L steel. Since then I've discovered the Sakai Takayuki Grand Cheff line of knives. They are also AEB-L. So far I have acquired a 150mm Petty and I have a 240mm Chef's on order. The Petty is proving to be all I thought it would be, taking any edge I choose to give it and holding it well. I no longer feel a need to own a Phil Wilson.

The list is long, but a few I'd most love to nab:

Shun Elite Chef (10")
Kikuichi Gold Elite Suminagashi Gyuto 240mm
Yoshikane 240mm Wa Gyuto
Hattori KD Gyuto 240mm
Hattori KF Gyuto in Cowry X (whenever it comes out)
Hiromoto Aogami Super Gyuto
Fallkniven F1 Blue Whale 8" Chef (no idea why I want it, just do!)

The list is long, but a few I'd most love to nab:

Shun Elite Chef (10")
Kikuichi Gold Elite Suminagashi Gyuto 240mm
Yoshikane 240mm Wa Gyuto
Hattori KD Gyuto 240mm
Hattori KF Gyuto in Cowry X (whenever it comes out)
Hiromoto Aogami Super Gyuto
Fallkniven F1 Blue Whale 8" Chef (no idea why I want it, just do!)

Jeez, Rob. Want much?? ;)

Inexpensive knives....Go to a flee market/second hand store. Look for the old cold rolled steel knives. quite often they have roll marks along the top. Many of them have very good high carbon blades.

The stupid thing is that if I had all those knives in addition to the ones I already do have, what would I do with them? :ROFLMAO: Especially a dozen 240mm gyutos! Can't help it though, that's my favorite size. I already have KF Forum 240mm Hattori and I love it, but the Cowry X version would rock. I have quite a few Shuns but no Elites (mine are all Classics). The Hiromotos and Yoshikanes aren't even all that expensive, just haven't got around to them yet.

For daily use I have to admit I generally reach for either a Tojiro DP or one of my Germans for just dinking around the house. For restaurant use I've spent most of my time using the Tojiros, Kanetsunes & Forschner Fibroxes. No way I'd let a Hattori out of my sight!;)

I want the next generation knife material. Forget forged, cryo-treated, super-steels, or ceramic, or cera-titanium. I want carbon nanotube blades, sharpend to a one nanotube edge. Ha! :LOL: Now that would be a knife to enjoy. Harder than diamon, and tougher than steel. You could even make your name glow in its side with a small watch battery imbedded in the handle to power the luminescent carbon nanotube pixels. And forget about a computer to store you favorite recipes. There could be a memory storage device in the handle as well, with the info displaying on the blade on those same pixels, all made from the same miracle material. Too coooool.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom