What's your favorite blade steel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey folks, I'm a bit of a steel junky and just wondering what your favorite alloy is for your high end knives? I love the edge holding of zdp-189 and s30v is my all around favorite steel but for kitchen cutlery I think vg-10 is the best trade off of cost, edge holding and resharpenability. To that end my 10" shun french and Al Mar10" french are my favorites. What say you?

Last edited:
I say I can't talk your language unfortunately. I love the various knives I have of varying price points, shapes, makes, etc. Hope the alloyists will come talk to you.
Wanna talk about how they cut up stuff to cook? I can talk about that.

My favorite steel is the steel my knife handles are bolted to. Don't know their technical name. They work fine for me. They sharpen nicely and hold their edge, all the while not rusting. Although sometimes they attack a finger and I need a band-aid.

{I have New West Knifeworks, both the phoenix and the fusionwood. THey use a Japanese cabon steel with just enough chrome alloy to call it stainless, but they caution you to dry them well and remove any discoloration with fine steel wool. That said, these knives take an edge extremely well and are furriously sharp with a few passes over a diamond hone. The phoenix line are forged, the fusionwood are machined and both are recommeded.

Grade 440A high carbon surgical stainless steel. That's the best steel availlable for kitchen knives. Cutco uses them. I'm not a huge steel expert but I do know that much lol. I hope I
answered your question.

-Guerda
butterfly_tears06@yahoo.com

Michael Cook said:
Hey folks, I'm a bit of a steel junky and just wondering what your favorite alloy is for your high end knives? I love the edge holding of zdp-189 and s30v is my all around favorite steel but for kitchen cutlery I think vg-10 is the best trade off of cost, edge holding and resharpenability. To that end my 10' shun french and Al Mar10" french are my favorites. What say you?

WHOOSH!!!!!! over my head!:LOL:

Would you mind explaining the differences??

Michael Cook said:
Hey folks, I'm a bit of a steel junky... To that end my 10' shun french and Al Mar10" french are my favorites. What say you?

I want to see that 10 foot (10') shun of yours.:LOL: What in the world do you chop with it?:ohmy:

Michael Cook said:
Hey folks, I'm a bit of a steel junky and just wondering what your favorite alloy is for your high end knives? I love the edge holding of zdp-189 and s30v is my all around favorite steel but for kitchen cutlery I think vg-10 is the best trade off of cost, edge holding and resharpenability. To that end my 10' shun french and Al Mar10" french are my favorites. What say you?

Not getting much for answers, are you Mike? For me, it's VG-10 in the thinner blades no matter what type of knife, 1095 or just about any other carbon steels for the rest. I must admit to having three Forschner forged SS beauties that see a lot of use in my kitchen though. lol

The earlier comment about the Cutco 440A knives, uh, let it be known that 440A is at the bottom of the pile when it comes to knife steels. In the 440 series, it's 440C or nothing. If it only says 440 on the blade, rest assured it is 440A, cheap, and won't hold an edge.

Buzz - first post :dry:

I still don`t know much more, I think I`m with Uncle Bob on this one too :)

for very Fine work I used Swan and Morton blades (chilis and things), if these numbers make any sense to you, you`re a better man than I!

BS 2982 (that`s the British Standard number for something?)
ISO 7740
BS EN 27740

all I know is that they do great work for small inticate things and trimming meats for jerky etc....

I found something on the BS Number here: BS 2982:1992

still doesn`t say if it`s A or C grade though?????

Last edited:
babyzfaboo said:
Grade 440A high carbon surgical stainless steel. That's the best steel availlable for kitchen knives. Cutco uses them. I'm not a huge steel expert but I do know that much lol. I hope I
answered your question.

-Guerda
butterfly_tears06@yahoo.com

YT2095, you earlier mentioned that surgical steel was for you. Here's the deal:

Although 440A is in used in many surgical instruments, the standard in that industry is 13C26. It is “Swedish Steel”, a product of Sandvik. It is now used world wide for surgicals. Most, if not all, razor blades are made from 13C26 and it is now gaining ground in the SS knife blade industry because of its qualities and relatively low price. Many Kershaw (affiliated with the super fine Kershaw Shun Japanese cutlery company) pocket folders are now in a period of transition from 440A to 13C26. Kershaw should exhaust its supply of 440A in approximately two months and will be making the switch.

An interesting note on my aforementioned 1095 carbon steel:

When in the Philippine Islands between stints in DaNang, RVN and Iwakuni, Japan, I purchased two bolo knives. These knives were used by the locals for machete duties in the fields and jungle. The steel was recycled from automobile leaf springs and made of 1095. Properly heat treated, they hold an edge extremely well and are not brittle. Brittleness is what precluded stainless from being used to pound and chop on hard materials. The downside of carbon is rust accumulation, but a light coating of petroleum or vegetable oil took care of the problem.

Buzz

all I know is that if it`s good enough for Open Heart or Brain surgery, it`s good enough for the kitchen too.

Swann & Morton are a good name I can assure you :)

S30V's about the best I've experienced. It is quite stain resistant and can hold an excellent edge. ATS-34 is not nearly as good and VG-10 is a tad better than ATS-34.

That said, from a practical perspective, it's somewhat overkill to try to buy an S30V 12" slicer. If properly maintained an old Dexter high carbon, Chicago Cutlery or Lamsonsharp will do fine breaking down cuts of meat. My favorite salami slicer is a Puma Fahrtenmesser.

The contour of a blade is, in some respects, as important as the metalurgy; with flat ground and appleseed or convex grinds seeming to be the most useful.

Back
Top Bottom