Where can I get Rachel Ray's First Knife?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
I'm in San Antonio and want to go buy a knife today.

Is Rachel Ray's first knife better than her second one?

Basically i will be using the knife to cut up steaks and chicken breasts, or pork chops, and to cut up fresh veggies

Where should i go to find it?

Also what's it called?

Her first knife was the Wustoff Grand Prix Santoku. Any kitchen store that carries Wustoff knives will probably carry it.

Make sure you try it first before you shell out the $$$. It might be a good knife for Rachel Ray, but that does not mean it will be a good knife for you. Santoku knives are best for slicing. A French or Chefs knife is better for chopping. Just something to think about.

Here is a link to where I bought mine many moons ago. This is the Grand Prix II. I am not sure if they even make the Grand Prix anymore.

Last edited:
If you use it for chicken you have to be very careful to get in the right place between the bones. It's by far my favorite for slicing veggies and lots of other things. I will pull that one out of the block usually before any of the others. My next favorite is a boning knife.

****, it looks nice. Thanks for your replies.

What is a great Chef's Knife? Is a Chef's Knife more versatile? Reccomend me a great all purpose high quality chef's knife.

Also, what "style" of knife is a Grand Prix Santoku?

I'm still leaning towards the Grand Prix II Santoku. hahah, that is the coolest name for a knife ive ever heard

Also - Is that a good knife for trimming fat off of chicken breasts(deboned) and lean steaks etc?

That is a primary use i have for knives- trimming fat, cutting meat/ slicing veggies...... this is what it will be used for.....

Cheers

Mylegsbig said:
I'm in San Antonio and want to go buy a knife today.

Is Rachel Ray's first knife better than her second one?

Basically i will be using the knife to cut up steaks and chicken breasts, or pork chops, and to cut up fresh veggies

Where should i go to find it?

Also what's it called?

all of her stuff is advertised on FoodTV.

Because my hands are smaller I have trouble with a big chef's knife but Rachel Ray's knife fits like a glove. You can get a really good chef's knife for around $100.00 from Wusthof or Henkel. As far as which style to get get one where the tang (is that what its called?) - the part of the knife blade that goes into the handle - get one where you can see it riveted in. Other than that just look for a higher quality and "test drive" them - or the best you can anyway. If you go to someplace like Target or Kohl's remember that the quality of knife is not the same as say Williams Sonoma. You can find some good deals at Tuesday Morning if you have one of those.

norgeskog said:
Actually the knife they advertise is not the same as the one she used on the show. I don't remember the differences between the one FoodTV sells and the "real" one, but it was something like the FoodTV one did not have a full tang or the blade was made in China instead of Germany or something like that. Whatever it was, I remember thinking it was a big scam FoodTV was trying to pull.

GB said:
Actually the knife they advertise is not the same as the one she used on the show. I don't remember the differences between the one FoodTV sells and the "real" one, but it was something like the FoodTV one did not have a full tang or the blade was made in China instead of Germany or something like that. Whatever it was, I remember thinking it was a big scam FoodTV was trying to pull.

i could imagine those scumbags trying to pull the wool over our eyes.

German steel baby!!!!!!!!!!!

Are the best cooking knives all german steel?

heh.. my fam is from germany

:LOL:

Big:

Given the way you are using a knife, you may want to consider a less expensive chef's knife. It will do what you need for a lot less money. Check out Chicago Cutlery and Forschner knives. They are highly rated but not very ***y. You get a lot for your money.

Santoku vs. Chef Knife

The following sub-article is from Cooks Illustrated:

And the Winner Is . . .
While testers liked most of the santokus, only two—the MAC and the Kershaw Shun—were consistently preferred over the Forschner chef’s knife in the tests. But given how much we like the Forschner (and the fact that many chef’s knives are inferior to this brand), the santokus certainly held their own. But you could argue that our tests were rigged in favor of the santokus. In preliminary testing, we tried to halve acorn squashes, and only a couple of the santokus could manage this basic task. The blades were simply too thin and too short. We also avoided cutting up a whole chicken because manufacturers warned that santoku blades were too thin to cut through bone. A chef’s knife can handle both of these chores easily.

Is the era of the chef’s knife at an end? No. The chef’s knife is more versatile than the santoku. If you are going to have only one type of knife in your kitchen, it should be a chef’s knife. That said, our testers felt that the santoku is indeed better at precision slicing: The blade is shorter, thinner, and easier to manage. Stick with the chef’s knife for more substantial tasks.

We heartily recommend the MAC Superior Santoku knife—it performed well and was one of the cheapest models tested. But use this santoku to complement—not to replace—your chef’s knife.

norgeskog said:

the knife they sell at food tv is not the one she uses. its the cheaper gourmet series offered at a grand prix price. dont buy it there.

NEVER buy a knife just because of someone eles's review or recommendation. It's VERY important to actually hold the knife in you own hand and try it before you buy it.

My opinion is that german knife makers are fine for traditional knives but asian knives need to be made my asian knife makers with their own steel. That's why i steered away from all the german made Santoku's and bought a Kershaw Shun.

kr03.jpg

Hattori makes the ones I REALLY want for a bit more than i can pay right now.

hatsantuko1.jpg

and here's a real gem for $1200

knife1954.jpg

If you decide against a Santoku, a Gyuto (like a traditional chef's knife) is the way to go. The $1200 knife is more of a Gyuto rather than a Santoku.

This is my favorite knife J.A Henckels Professional S 8", it is big and the handle is good for a mans hand it is riveted and should last a lifetime, the blade is heavy, the heavy blades hold their edge and sharpen well. It is great for meat, if you do alot of trimming and meat work a deboning knife is great, if you don't allready have one that is. Happy shopping

A few years ago when I was restocking my kitchen after my divorce... I joined a couple of knife forums to do some research.. one was knifeforums.com as I recall, I forget the other one (I lost my bookmarks)... Anyway

I read their "kitchen" sections.. and did some other research.. bought myself some knives... what I got isn't important to this conversation.

Later, I needed a wedding gift for a friend in my office... and went back to research knives. One specific knife was recommended a few times as the "best buy in the world" type of raves... So I checked out the site and couldn't believe the prices... anyway, I bought four or five of these knives for my friend as a wedding present... when I was wrapping them I couldn't believe how nice they were.. I have a bunch of Japanese knives myself.. all of them costing WAY too much by community standards :) ... and I was thinking "rats (not really but the word I want to use produces those funny star thingys), I should have got a few of them for myself".. but I don't need any more knives...

At the wedding, my friend & new bride got a really nice set of Henckels 4-star knives (not my favorite but a really nice German knife) in a classy looking oak block and I shook my head 'cause they went all hysterical over the Henckels... then they opened up my present with the Japanese knives.. The/many Japanese knives are strange in that they only have one bevel.. (i.e. only one side is sharpened) so they have "right handed" knives as normal stock... "left handed" knives can be special ordered... My friends said "how quaint", thanked me and tossed them in their box.

Punch line is, a few weeks later I asked them what they did with all the knives they got... they said they took the Henckels back to the store where they were purchased... and are using and LOVING the Japanese knives I got for them.. they bought a wood block for them (horizontal.. cause you never want to store a knife on it's edge) and I couldn't pry any of them out of his wife's hands if I tried....

So.. if anyone is considering a GREAT quality knife at a bargain basement, best "bang for the buck" price.. check out the link I provide below... these knives come so sharp you can just look at a tomato and it almost slices itself. I noticed they have a Santoku that I'll bet performs as well or probably better than the Mac Santoku.. worth a look anyway.
http://www.japanese-knife.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Knife&Category_Code=HFU-F

My husband bought me a Santoku for about $60, I think, and it has become my favorite big knife. The shape makes it easier to balance the knife on it's point and rock, and it's shorter length makes it easier to control, for me at least.
My daughter always teased that it wasn't a meal until mom sliced her finger, but lately (knock on wood) I haven't left nearly as much skin on the cutting block as before.
Maybe it's because I've learned to tuck my fingers under when I slice, but I think the new knife has made a difference too.

Attachments

• men31.gif
    men31.gif
    30.8 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:
janetGood said:
This is my favorite knife J.A Henckels Professional S 8", it is big and the handle is good for a mans hand it is riveted and should last a lifetime, the blade is heavy, the heavy blades hold their edge and sharpen well. It is great for meat, if you do alot of trimming and meat work a deboning knife is great, if you don't allready have one that is. Happy shopping

I've got that exact knife, a henkels 8". Man that thing is good... I havent sharpened it once since I bought it and it's getting ready for it's first sharpen (after like 2 years).

man i LOVE the look of the Kershaw Shun Santoku...

does anyone else have one of these? any reviews or opinions on them???

do you think id have to internet order the kershaw shun or they may have it at a cutlery store here in san antonio?

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom