Where can I get Rachel Ray's First Knife?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You may love the look of a knife, but TRY IT OUT before you buy it! It's got to feel right in your hands. Don't go by what others love or hate. Try it for yourself.

If you get one thing from this thread, get that you should try it before you buy it.

I've only had my Kershaw Shun for about 2 weeks but I'm in love with it. Its ultra-sharp and very nice looking. The handle looks round in the picture but its actually kinda triangular shaped so that it fits perfectly in your hand.

You're unlikely to find the Kershaw Shun series in most local stores. I did find a few to try out at Williams-Sonoma. I ended up buying mine on e-bay for around $80.

For more opinions on the entire Shun line check out the forums at http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/index.php? Try searching for kershaw shun and you should get plenty of posts raving about them.

Last edited:
jennyema said:
I sure love the look and sharpness of Global knives

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=135722

But after trying one, I could hardly hold it in my hand!!

My friend has one and when I cook at her house, it's a real struggle to use it.

You should find a cutlery store and check out a bunch of good knives before you plunk down serious cahs on one.
Me too! I made a special trip just to get one in my hands. I'm glad I did because it just didn't feel right to me.

It's the Shun that I use, Dove.. and I love it.. but mine has a 7" "scalloped" blade and as I recall cost about $130.. you good a great deal on eBay.

The point I was trying to make in my post above, was that a person can get two Macs or two of the knives I recommended at that Japanese knife url.. for the price of one Shun.

And I too strongly recommend someone get their hands on a knife and check it for feel, etc. before ordering off the net...

I go down to Sur La Table here and play with the knives, then when I find the one I like, I hunt it down on the net... usually save the 9% sales tax and at a cheaper price than I can buy locally, even including shipping.

Amazon is often a good place because they usually have a $25.00 off purchases of $125 or more and free shipping on most household items... worth checking out from time to time anyway.

i went to go check them out and both the shun santoku 6' 5" and the grand prix 2 santoku felt great in my hands

the shun is prettier, which one is sharper?

are shun known for their outstanding quality? is it worth the 30 bucks extra?

I can't speak for the Grand Prix but I can tell you that the Shun is VERY sharp and works very well.

I'll tell you how I made my decision.

I decided that since the Santoku is a japanese knife style that I wanted it to be made by a japanese knife maker and NOT by a european knife maker. Thus, i ended up steering clear of all the Henkels and Wustoff's, etc.

My understanding is that german steel and japanese steel is different and that the japanese steel is better for this knife style. I could be wrong there though.

Well, MyLeg... buy the Kershaw "Shun" 'cause I went to college with Pete Kershaw at Lewis & Clark College in Portland and he's a friend of mine! :rolleyes:

Just kidding (not about going to college with Pete, I did.. I have a lot of interesting Pete Kershaw stories but not relevant here) but about why to buy the Shun.

It doesn't perhaps show in some advertisements, but Kershaw has the Shun made by KAI (as I recall anyway), a premium Japanese knife maker.. and it has a forged steel blade of VG-10 clad with 16 layers of SUS410 high-carbon stainless steel on each side to produce a rust-free Damascus-look blade. It has a VERY sharp edge that not only holds longer with the VG-10 steel, but is also easier to maintain, i.e. to sharpen or true up the edge between use.

"Sharp" is a relative term... I have some 4-Stars, (same as the Grad Prix but with a different handle) and I've never been impressed with the steel they use... check the kniveforum.com site.. there's another one too, but I must have brain damage 'cause I can't remember the name of it (lost my bookmark too). A key is "how LONG do they stay sharp?" and "How easy are they to sharpen?".. the Shun wins hands down. I personally have never come close to getting an edge on any German knife, Wustoff or Henckels, that comes close to any good Japanese knife.. but in all fairness, the angle of the edge is different (12-15 degrees v. perhaps 22 degrees for the German knives). I'd never hack bones with a Japanese knife (except those designed to do that) but I hack up things with my Henckels all the time...

Of course an "expert" will tell you it's not necessarily the angle of the bevel but the angle of the cutting edge.. so the debate goes on.... All I can tell you is:

Out of the box you can shave with the Shun.. I'd never try that with the Henckels.. might have to call 911 and all that. Is it worth an extra $30? That too is relative.. it is to me.. only you can answer the question though. I think the much cheaper MAC is a better alternative than the Henckels.. but that's just IMHO.

lutzzz said:
"Sharp" is a relative term... I have some 4-Stars, (same as the Grad Prix but with a different handle)

4 Star is Henckles, whereas Grand Prix is Wusthof, so they are really not the same

Wusthof Grand Prix and Classic knives are the same but for their different handles

Yeah, you're right Jenny.. my "goof".. the fancy handle Henckels is 5 star... I was thinking the one with the rivets showing was a "classic" but it's called something else..

Well *blush*, no matter what they are called :rolleyes: my comments about the steel being about the same is fairly accurate... I've never played with a Wustoff Santoku (except at the store) but they seem about the same weight/balance etc. as the Henckels...

I should have added that with a Japanese knife, folks will need/want a diamond "steel" because even the finest steel "steel" will dull the blade.. I use Ben Dale's Edge Pro sharpener (not cheap) but excellent.. and he sells a 600 grit (I think) diamond "steel" cheap.. it fine tunes the edge of a Global, Shun, Mac, etc. nicely without making it dull.

I just dropeed that in because there is so much specific knife talk going on here:)

I have a wusthof set (GP) that I love that was a gift. Over time I have added more and more individual purcjase knifes to the set. Had to buy a bigger block.

I am getting a Japanese knife next, as I have heard so many great things about them.

maybe a ceramic knife when the places that sell them will replace them when they break or the technology improves.

But if I were in Big's shoes now, I would buy a good quality chef or santuko knife that he likes and fits his hand. I'd buy a knife guard or other means to protect the edge. I'd learn how to sharpen it myself or where to have it professional maintained. Then I'd go to town cooking!:ROFLMAO:

And save up and buy another type of knife when it made sense to do so. Maybe trying another brand.

Assemble your own customized set over time.

Back
Top Bottom