Wow, this knife feels good!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my preference is the hybrid type knives like the furi gusto or the zasshu knife. they are basically santokus with a slight curve to them.

When I used to use a mag strip I had a very heavy cleaver on it. That stuck stronger than any of my other knives. You almost needed two hands to remove it.

In my current kitchen I do not have a good spot for a mag strip so I am using a block. I can't wait for the day that I can use my strip again though. I loved using it.

I have used Cutco for a while and they have free sharpening. and i have friends that have had them for 29 years and swear by them. They are pricey though but worth it in the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I used to use a mag strip I had a very heavy cleaver on it. That stuck stronger than any of my other knives. You almost needed two hands to remove it.

Yes, and the steel strip scratches the blade. You need something like a Mag-Blok. There is so much area on a cleaver's blade that the easiest way to remove them from the blok is to slide them off.

Yes, and the steel strip scratches the blade.
buzzard, did my wife let you into our house to inspect my blades and make that determination? You should have let me know you were coming. I would have cooked you a meal.

I used that magnetic strip for a long time multiple times a day. It did not scratch any of my blades, including the cleaver.

Lots of folks have had their knives scratched. The Mag-Blok eliminates the possibility and besides, they're sooooooo good lookin'.
I can only speak for myself and the others here who have said they have used these and never had a scratch. I actually have yet to hear of one person here who have said their mag strip has scratched their knives with the exception of you. Maybe the one you got was just a poor quality one.

I can only speak for myself and the others here who have said they have used these and never had a scratch. I actually have yet to hear of one person here who have said their mag strip has scratched their knives with the exception of you. Maybe the one you got was just a poor quality one.

Ummmm, no, I never said I scratched my knives. I said "Lots of folks have had their knives scratched." Those folks are on other forums. Personally, I take very VERY good care of my knives. I'm a collector as well as a user. To me, a scratch on a well patinated carbon blade would be truly ugly, especially if I had paid a small fortune for it. Only my wife's knives reside on a magnet. I have more than one maker Nakiri, Gyuto, etc. and they are used in rotation. When not in use they are in their factory boxes.

Back
Top Bottom