Wusthof vs Tojiro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Then I received:

Hi Buzz,

Please note DP series are made by 3 layers material which manufacture name is “Takefu Special Steel Co., Ltd.”
You can get further information from below their web site.

http://www.e-tokko.com/eng_index.htm

Best regards,

Toru Kamoi
Fuji Cutlery Co., Ltd.

The above address took me to
eng_title.gif
where no answers were found so I emailed "them" again specifically asking which steel(s) they are providing to Tojiro. What I did get from the site is that Takefu is probably a wholesaler carrying many steels by a variety of manufacturers.

Waiting for their reply.

The mystery continues.....

Very interesting! Well, I took the plunge today. I ordered the Tojiro DP 240mm gyotu after telling DH that I wasn't going to buy one because I spent my bonus money on getting the Edge Pro Apex! :-p

He should be just thankful that I didn't buy a Hattori or a Misono UX-10. :)

Last edited:
Thanks, Rob! And of course now you have me looking at that Edgemaker Pro because I've had it with my serrated bread knife. It would probably cost me that much just to buy a new bread knife.

Thanks, Rob! And of course now you have me looking at that Edgemaker Pro because I've had it with my serrated bread knife. It would probably cost me that much just to buy a new bread knife.

Carol - I know you'll be very happy with the Tojiro, and the Edge Pro will allow you to keep it "right". Pay attention to the video and the magic marker trick.

As to bread knives, I very highly recommend the Mac SB105. This knife is unlike any you've used. It slices the hardest of crusts without producing any crumbs. It won't need sharpening for years and when it does you should have it done professionally. Dave Martell is the best I've ever seen. Even though I have an Apex and hundreds of dollars worth of freehand stones and other gadgets I have certain knives that I send to him. He also does an excellent job repairing chipped and broken blades. Here's a project he did for me and I was thrilled with the results.

hey where did you order it from?

I ordered it from Korin. This is my first order from them so I can't give personal experience but many have ordered from them from another forum.

...Pay attention to the video and the magic marker trick.

As to bread knives, I very highly recommend the Mac SB105. ...It won't need sharpening for years and when it does you should have it done professionally. Dave Martell is the best I've ever seen.

I'm looking forward to watching the video. I typically read manuals and watch DVDs for the toys I get (DH says it's the geek in me, what can I say).

My Mar/Apr issue of Cook's Illustrated had a serrated knives review and the Mac Suprior Series 10.5" was one of them (no model number was listed but they listed the price as $28). It was rated "Recommended with Reservations." The Mac got very good ratings with one small exception. They stated that the scalloped-shaped edges slid over bread crust and tomatoes before taking its first bite (but isn't the scalloped edges the reason why it doesn't tear the food?). But overall, they said it was a winner.

I don't know where CI purchased their knife for $28 but I can't find the SB105 cheaper than $56. :glare: You know you guys are killing me. My want list keeps growing and growing. :ROFLMAO:

That's amazing what Dave did with that knife. His site is bookmarked for when I need him. I had thought about getting Dave's DVD on knife sharpening but well, that's why I got the Apex.

I ordered it from Korin. This is my first order from them so I can't give personal experience but many have ordered from them from another forum.

I have purchased several knives from Korin and have been very pleased with them. There was a post once on another forum concerning some impolite treatment in their New York store but most other individuals have expressed good experiences there.

My Mar/Apr issue of Cook's Illustrated had a serrated knives review and the Mac Suprior Series 10.5" was one of them (no model number was listed but they listed the price as $28). It was rated "Recommended with Reservations." The Mac got very good ratings with one small exception. They stated that the scalloped-shaped edges slid over bread crust and tomatoes before taking its first bite (but isn't the scalloped edges the reason why it doesn't tear the food?). But overall, they said it was a winner.

I don't know where CI purchased their knife for $28 but I can't find the SB105 cheaper than $56. :glare: You know you guys are killing me. My want list keeps growing and growing. :ROFLMAO:

I'm not going to comment on CI's knife reviews except to say (in my opinion) they have a thing about dissing more expensive, high quality knives. The SB105 is in fact the Superior 10.5" model. I have never in my life used a serrated edge on a tomato but I just changed all that and sliced a perfectly ripe one into neat 1/16" slices. No slipping and sliding, just pure cuts. I suspect the CI crew had been mashing the Mac into poly or bamboo cutting boards, both no nos, and dulled the edge. :dry:

That's amazing what Dave did with that knife. His site is bookmarked for when I need him. I had thought about getting Dave's DVD on knife sharpening but well, that's why I got the Apex.

You might eventually lose knife sanity as so many of us already have. At that time you'll probably take up an interest in free handing. Meanwhile, your new EdgePro will astound you. The learning curve for attaining an excellent edge is short, and, for perfect edges, long. You will be very happy with this device and Ben Dale's customer service is top notch. Wait until you learn about his glass blanks for stropping, etc. :angel:

Buzz, I'll comment on CI! I take CI's reviews with a grain of salt because some of their reviews didn't include certain manufacturers that are not readily available in large stores (L&T, BB&B, etc.). I find that a bit lopsided since I believe the intention of reviews should b to find the best out there. Even as an average jane cook, like me, I want to buy the best that my money can buy, not just on a name. I guess that's why I love forums like DC and KF.

Oh yeah, good to know about the bamboo board. I've been using that alot lately but I'll remember to use my walnut when using my serrated. Although I don't think I'm a brute with it. I'll have to pay attention the next time.

The biggest problem with bamboo isn't so much its hardness rather there is so much lamination there is glue everywhere. They're pretty, but harder on edges than I like. Your walnut board, if the wood is end cut, is nice to edges. Think of it as the blade descending into the soft bristles of a hair brush.

Other than end cut wood, the rubber Sani-Tuff is the way to go.

I don't like to cut fish on either so I use cheap flexible poly specifically and toss it in the dishwasher when I'm finished. With all the fresh fish on the Gulf coast, the poly sees the washer at least four times a week. The poly doesn't hurt the knife in this case as I am very careful what happens once the meat is cut. It's not like I'm Kung Fooing veggies. :cool:

I'm not sure what my walnut board is. It's a Chicago Cutlery that I got a long time ago. I have another thicker walnut that might be end cut but that's tucked away somewhere. I'll have to dig that one out. I have a crappy cheap (I think it was free) poly board that I use for poulty, except when hacking through bone. I have another bamboo board that I use for red meats.

What I have will suffice until after the kitchen remodel next year. Then I'm going to town on my wish list!

Yup! A Bloodwood 24" or longer is on my wish list. But I was going to wait until I decide on the cabinet colors before ordering since I would like it to "compliment" the surrounding. ha!

Yup! A Bloodwood 24" or longer is on my wish list. But I was going to wait until I decide on the cabinet colors before ordering since I would like it to "compliment" the surrounding. ha!

First build your dream kitchen, then add the matching decor. BladeSmith, or the like, will forever await your business. :king:

Got the Apex on Thursday and the Tojiro on Friday. Love both of them! I was able to sharpen my Wusthof santoku to shave paper. :ROFLMAO: I've had that knife a long time so I can't be sure if it was able to do that when I first bought it. The Tojiro 240mm gyotuo is very very sharp, able to shave paper right out of the box (I couldn't help myself). I used the Tojiro to prep dinner on Friday and Saturday. It was great!

Excellent. Tojiros usually have a very sharp factory edge. Slicing paper: This is mostly slicing as opposed to pure push cutting, but it's a good Curtis Chung video.

If you put an EP 800 grit edge it may not push cut without using the EP polishing tapes. You can bypass the tapes and do a little stropping with .5 micron chromium oxide and push cutting will be no problem. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom