Anyone familiar with the Big Green Egg?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Atomic Buffalo Turds...

Take a jap and either core it or cut it length ways in 1/2, your choice. Then stuff with cream cheese. I add dry spices and crumbled smoke sausage to this last round. Then smoke around 225 degrees for 2 hours with indirect heat.

With that said you can play endlessly IMHO. I have used little smokies, shrimp
, stripped ham, brisket, and pulled pork for meat. I have mixed cheese in with it also. That is the nice things about these
little buggers they sem good with whatever you throw in them.

I must also say I picked this up on another forum to give credit.

I will post a pick of last nights dinner with smoked corn on teh cob. Don't laugh I took it with my cell phone.

Take care,

Brian

Well I think you might be able to tell what this picture is of (Man I need to get my digital back from my kid)...

Attachments

• 1203071733.jpg
    1203071733.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 285
Well, DH cooked a small venison roast, short ribs of beef and a large pork roast, all at one time. He covered the venison roast in a mustard rub, and removed it first. We had that for dinner, and it was delicious. It made us really happy when the neighbour who had given it to us had a taste and seemed surprised that it was so deliciously tender.

We had the shortribs the next day, warmed up in the microwave, as we cooked the vegetables. Also delicious. His barbecue sauce was fantastic, and the ribs were as tender as any he has cooked in the pressure cooker, or in any other way.

We have been working away on the pork roast. We had it hot, and cold, sliced, as a meal and in sandwiches. I love the way the flavour goes through the entire piece of meat, no matter how big it is.

The Egg got a great workout this weekend. Ribs yesterday (five racks), and a nine pound prime rib today. I can see that as summer comes, we will not be using the oven or the stove top for cooking.

I love my Big Green Egg so much that I have told my wife that when I die, I want to be cremated in it.

I have smoked a pork butt for 20 hours in it and seared my steak at 750-800 degrees. I have cooked pizza in it and and roasted fruit/vegetables. I always smoke a turkey at thanksgiving. It is the single best "toy" I have ever purchased for myself.

Have I mentioned I love my Big Green Egg.

I love my Big Green Egg so much that I have told my wife that when I die, I want to be cremated in it.

I have smoked a pork butt for 20 hours in it and seared my steak at 750-800 degrees. I have cooked pizza in it and and roasted fruit/vegetables. I always smoke a turkey at thanksgiving. It is the single best "toy" I have ever purchased for myself.

Have I mentioned I love my Big Green Egg.

Gotta luv the BGE, it's a great cooking machine :chef:

Have you ever gone to the Egg Fests in Ocala at Silver River State Park?

The Egg is great because the ceramic body keeps the heat in so you can grill in really cold weather and cook more food with less fuel.

Last edited:
I haven't made it to one there yet. I went to the Egg Fest in Atlanta in 2006. That was good fun.

This is smaller, but a lot more fun. It should be about ready to go off for '08, I'm sure there are details at the BGE forum. Good way to get a discounted unit )demo), too :)

Bge

Would you believe I got my BGE in Okinawa in about 1964. Expensive? Yes, if memory serve me I paid about $9.00 US for it.

Served me well the two years I was in Okinawa, brought it back to the states. Used it for another year or so. When I got my gas BBQ I gave it to my daughter as marriage gift.

Most things I cooked had the smoke flavor plus the ease of grilling. The temperature was very easy to control. My favorite was Flank Steak.

Enjoy,
Charlie

The egg comes with a lifetime guarantee, I think... the company stands behind it. Look on their site (www biggreenegg com), and you can get great deals on demo units used at Eggfests. They get used for a weekend, and you take them home, saving hundreds, still with the guarantee.

I just got an XL, and used it all day Sunday. Using about 7 lbs of lump charcoal and some wood chunks, I first baked French country bread, then grilled scallops, then smoked a prime rib, then baked puff pastries. I've never used a unit that would do all of that so well and with so little fuel.

Back
Top Bottom