Are Webers worth the money?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
I am somewhat of a novice to grilling but I want a nice, new grill so I can expand my horizons and really get into it. I've been looking around and a similarly sized Weber is about twice as expensive as a Kenmore. Is it really worth it? The two I'm looking at are:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...BV_EngineID=cchkaddkjiffefkcefecemldffidfmg.0

http://webergrills.com/bbq/pub/grill/2007/gas/GenesisS310.aspx

The Kenmore is $350 and the Weber is $800. Is the Weber complete overkill or is the quality that much better to justify spending $450 more?

Sounds a little pricey for Weber, I have one, and I know I surely didn't pay that much. I got mine at Wal Mart I think. I like mine, have had no problems. I would check around for better pricing. Iam not to fussy thought, as long as it gets the job done Iam happy ! I know I didn't pay over $350 for it . (no side burner) which is fine with me.

Just between these two...The Weber is worth the extra money in the short term as well as the long term. Being a novice (your word) you might consider just a basic Weber Charcoal grill. Gain some experience at Q'ing and buy yourself some time to make a more informed choice of all of the products on the market. Hope this helps.

Crankin, I think Uncle Bob has offered great advice. You might want to take "baby steps" in this new world of cooking to you. Better to get a good learning foundation with a less expensive grill than to spend big bucks on something you might not like nor use if you discover this kind of cooking doesn't ring your chimes.

I'm in the Weber camp because we've had a Weber kettle grill for close to 25 years that shows no evidence of giving up on us. The only thing that's happened is the spot-weld where the handle was attached to the lid gave way a couple of weeks ago. Buck easily fixed it by reattaching it with nuts and bolts.

The Weber you have listed is a Stainless Steel model which are much more expensive then their regular line. You can get a regular Weber gas grill for around 450-$500 or so. Look for the Genesis line (I think that is the name).

Weber makes a quality product. It is worth the $ in my opinion. I do not have first hand experience with Kenmore grills, but I do with Weber. I also know that on trash day I often see grills on the side of the road all rusted out and falling apart. Rarely are those grills Webers.

We have a Weber Genesis bought in 1980. It is used throughout the year and other than not being as black as when new, it is still wonderful. We have replaced the grates with stainless.

Weber has earned its reputation. They make top quality grills, both charcoal and gas.

The Weber you linked is a top dollar item. As GB said, you can get a Weber for around $400. Check out Home Depot to see a selection of grills.

I will have to say, I don't care if you are new, or seasoned to grilling. It is a long time investment and something you can/will grow into. If you can bite the bullet now, then so be it, it will save you a purchase in the future.weber makes a GREAT grill, that will stand the test of time.

If you have to chose between those two grills, I would definitely advise the Weber. Superior Customer Service from Weber than from Sears. But There are many other brands I would recommend. The Big Green Egg for one is my best recommendation, or for propane American Outdoor Grill. Good Luck.

I'm a charcol guy and love my Weber. I was first impressed years ago putting one together with my HS buddy. THe directions were in clear literate English with diagrams anyone could understand. THen, the dang thing cooked like no tomorrow, and their basic instructions proved to be a a first rate grilling class. Well, my folks got one on my recs, and were pleased, and I have been with mine, and sis got one too etc.

I have friends with a gas one who swear by it.

You get your money's worth.

I also say you the Weber is worth the extra. I've had a number of the others and they are ok but not the quality of the Weber. Also the neighbor hood dogs tore up the pan under the cooker and I sent them a note asking about replacement parts for I couldn't find it on the web. A couple days later I got a full set in the mail complements of Weber. So great support also.

I love charcoal but for quick grilling my wife uses the gas Weber all the time to keep from heating the house. So IMO you almost need one of each.

Last edited:
Another Weber fan here. Their customer support is phenominal - they sent me brand new grates as well as a new thermometer - no questions asked. They also responded to questions I had immediately via email. Every spring the grill looks brand new and cooks like no tomorrow. Now, I say that not ever using anything but a Weber - but I don't think I ever will. I have Genesis also, and paid around $500 for it.

I guess I was a bit of a novice myself when I got my Weber... I paid $70 for mine and now that I am a bit more seasoned... I still wont trade it in for a nicer modle... this one is just gettin broke in!!!

I was given a weber kettle grill some years ago and I agree they are great. So good that I used it for roasting joints in the winter. I left it with the property and I have been hooked ever since.

I own Weber, but I can't say that it is the best grill out there, there are better ones. Outside of quality of cooking, consider that any grill will requiare maitanence. Mine for example needs new racks right now now, old ones got rusted. So, I'd say go to store talk to slaes people. Check the grill, not on-line but life one.

Then of course there is that $$$$ issue, your budget. My next grill will probably a prtable outside kitchen.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom