ISO comments/feedback on "FlameDisk" by Bic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoot

Executive Chef
Moderator Emeritus
Mrs Hoot, being a frugal woman, is always clipping coupons and such. She just brought in a coupon to me for something called a FlameDisk, made by Bic. This coupon is for a free FlameDisk. A brief look at Google informs me that this device uses ethanol for fuel, is self contained (no ashes or such to deal with), burns for about 40 minutes. It is compact and as such is easier to store than charcoal. Price...about 5 bucks.
Now I doubt I will ever be convinced that this contraption will be better than charcoal, but if it lives up to the hype, it might be a product I would keep on hand for emergencies and unexpected guests for lunch or supper.
I reckon I will give it a try seein's how I can get one for free.
Anybody have any experience with this thing?

Last edited:
Never heard of it, but I would try it for free. The price is right!

I saw them at the grocery store the other day. I bet they would be great for tailgating or a small smokey joe in the car. Take the Mrs. on a picnic!

I wonder if you could get good results throwing hardwood chips on top of it and use it in a small grill for smoking?

I might toss a couple of these into my camper for my next fishing trip and give it a try.

Hmmmmm

Edit: Thnx for bringing this to our attention Hoot.

Last edited:
Let us know how it works. Sounds like a large chaffing dish warmer. :)

Bu it does have "solidified ethanol technology"... Really? ;)

I carried Sterno, the same kind of gelled alcohol, camping, but only as an emergency or quick convenient measure. It is suitable for warming or, if you're patient, boiling a small container of water for a cup of tea. Alcohol flame is about 500F. Compare to charcoal that is created in temperatures higher than that and that can reach temperatures in excess of the melting point of iron. In other words. Alcohol can give you plenty of flame - little heat. But free is free. Just don't expect too much. I will say that it's in a more convenient form for flame cooking than the Sterno can. But I assume it's not reusable, and with Sterno, you can put the lid on and relight it again and again until it's gone.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom