Jerky?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If money isn't a real concern for you (and you can find it), I use flat-iron steak for most of my jerky-ing. Flank steak as others have stated works really well too.

I like London Broil. When it goes on good sale, I stock up!
My wife got me a great jerky cutting board. One side is 1/4 inch deep,
the other 1/2 inch, so cutting the correct thickness with the grain is a breeze!

OK, the jerky is a bit too smoky for me, but my youngest likes it. I think it is too thinly sliced as well. No biggie. We'll eat this and I will try again with a different cut of meat.

Ok, jerky is my next experiment. What cut of meat should I buy? I have a marinade/brine recipe but no idea what cut of meat to buy. Just something cheap?

I make jerky all the time and my favorite cut is London Broil. you want something lean or you get pockets of fatty gristle in your chew. First I trim away all the fat I can find then I cut it thick and marinate it in a mixture of Buffaloe brand chipote sauce and a small amount of soy sauce to dilute the fire a little bit. Some cummin is good too. Don't dry it so long that it gets crispy. Your dog will love you for it. Mine goes nuts when I start makng it and won't leave the kitchen.

also called Top Round

I make jerky all the time and my favorite cut is London Broil. you want something lean or you get pockets of fatty gristle in your chew. First I trim away all the fat I can find then I cut it thick and marinate it in a mixture of Buffaloe brand chipote sauce and a small amount of soy sauce to dilute the fire a little bit. Some cummin is good too. Don't dry it so long that it gets crispy. Your dog will love you for it. Mine goes nuts when I start makng it and won't leave the kitchen.

I've been told that London Broil and Top Round are the same thing.

thanks!
What about lamb? My bf doesn't eat beef or pork. Would Kangaroo meat do it as well?
Never seen lamb jerky lol
I would be cautious when it came to pork or fowl jerky. I'm afraid of getting sick from either of those two types of meat should they be undercooked since jerky is basically dried meat. Am I just being paranoid.

I would be cautious when it came to pork or fowl jerky. I'm afraid of getting sick from either of those two types of meat should they be undercooked since jerky is basically dried meat. Am I just being paranoid.
You are correct and not paranoid. ALL poultry meat (Chicken, Turkey, etc.) must be precooked before turning into jerky. The same would be for pork, though the danger of Trichinosis in a commercial product is quite slim because of the confined conditions. There is still the chance....

Alix, I LOVE jerky... probably about as much as I like chips and dip. I have never tried to make my own, but I don't mind sampeling others jerky recipes!!! I wish there was some way to get companies to send me jerky to sample!

I made beef jerky years ago with the Ronco dehydrator. It was basically nothing more than round plastic shelves and a cheap heating coil at the bottom.

I ended up actually working in a reostat (the same you use to dim lights) to the unit.

It took way too much effort and time. Also, for all the time I took, I ended up eating it all up in about 2 hours.

lol! Homemade beef jerky is that good. The rawhide they sell in stores can lead to jaw problems, or cause a root canal appointment.

Last edited:
I have been thinking of trying this again soon, but frankly, I need to wait for the snow to clear off my deck dang it. I'm going to try a thicker slice and I liked the marinade I used. It was just right, a bit sweet and nicely salty. I have to decide what chips to use though. We didn't care for the hickory I used last time. I'm thinking alder or apple. Something fruity maybe.

I always use flank steak-although IMHO it is'nt "cheap"

Throw it in the freezer for an hour or two before you slice it; easier to handle that way. I cut about 1/8" -1/4" thick. Marinade/seasoning is a matter of preference, but my family/friends all seem to enjoy Alton Browns recipe. I add a bit of Teryaki to mine.

Back
Top Bottom