New To Smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
Hey guys im getting a house in a couple months and want to start smoking meat.

Can anyone reccomend an awesome smoker for a beginner, that produces great consistent results, and is easy to use?

i want to use charcoal and wood chips and things of that nature.

What do you think of the green egg?

Whatever smoker you choose just be sure that you do not have to remove whatever you are cooking to add more wood or charcoal. THAT is a pain. A wood/charcoal holder that sits on the side is REALLY easy to add to. You will become addicted immediately so I would make sure you can smoke several things at one time. One with several racks is a good idea. You can have a pork butt going on the top and ribs or chicken on the bottom. They make beer can chicken holders now (holds two) for stability and they REALLY are helpful - make sure one of those will fit in it.

Those would be the first things I look at. I haven't smoked anything in a couple weeks - now you've got me planning a weekend meal!!!!!

When you get closer to "smoking time" there are several suggestions I have - in my opinion anyway they add to the flavor of smoking stuff - now you've got me HUNGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah, kitchen elf i see you will be a fine resource. Hopefully there are more like you.

I understand there are exclusive BBQ'ing forums, but i prefer to post here.

Would you say for 200 dollars you can get an awesome smoker?

i dont want to spend 800 on an egg if i can get something that is really good for cheaper.

I use a weber smoker, it's big enough to smoke a 20 pound turkey. It usually takes a bag and a half of charcoal (added throughout the smoking process) and one small bag of wood chips.

soak the chips in wine or cider for a day or two before you begin smoking. Smoking is a long procedure, so make sure you are around to keep checking the heat and meat. The more you use it, the better you'll get at it.

I have been smoking(BBQing is the correct term) for years. Do not get the Egg. Get a smoker with an attached firebox. Thats what I use.

Alright, smoker with an attached firebox, and a weber is good.

I do not need a smoker that big however, for a 20 lb turkey. sounds like youd have to buy alot of fuel.

I just want a smoker to maybe cook a piece of meat that weighs 5 pounds or so and a rack of ribs....

I don't even remember what kind of smoker I have but it wasn't that expensive - I'm sure it was under $100.00. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to soak my chunks (don't like chips, they burn up too quickly without imparting a flavor) in apple juice, and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to put apple juice (there are occasions when it isn't appropriate but I just haven't found that occasion yet :rolleyes: ) in the water pan when I smoke a pork butt.

I really wish my smoker had a side box but the pan is pretty easy to add to. NEXT TIME it will be a side box.

There are some great smokers i.e., the people, here and you'll get lots of good advice.

The Weber Smoky Mountain, or WSM, is a vertical bullet smoker that's $249 and worth every penny.

I have two of them which I use in competition BBQ. It's a short learning curve to use them, they go for 9 -10 hours without having to refuel (depending on weather conditions), are portable, cook lots of meat, and are one of the most popular smokers among backyard and competition BBQ'ers.

Yes, there is an entire website called The Virtual Weber Bullet http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ which is extremely well done and very informative.

I would never get a low-end horizontal offset smoker. Too difficult to maintain even temps and you have to tend it much more closely. 'Course, lots of guys like that, since it gives them an excuse to not to anything else besides "watch the smoker", but I'm too busy for that.e

The Big Green Egg is a good choice if you have the money, want versatility (it's a grill, an oven, a smoker) and don't care about cooking a lot of food at once. They are very heavy, very breakable, and the flashbacks when grilling at high temps scare the heck out of me.

Good luck!

Lee

Well, if you are about to start smoking, I tell you make sure to get a real Cuban cigar none of that Dominican stuff, ...

oh-oh, you're talking about smoking meaaaat.........:)

QSis said:
The Weber Smoky Mountain, or WSM, is a vertical bullet smoker that's $249 and worth every penny.

I have two of them which I use in competition BBQ. It's a short learning curve to use them, they go for 9 -10 hours without having to refuel (depending on weather conditions), are portable, cook lots of meat, and are one of the most popular smokers among backyard and competition BBQ'ers.

Yes, there is an entire website called The Virtual Weber Bullet http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ which is extremely well done and very informative.

I would never get a low-end horizontal offset smoker. Too difficult to maintain even temps and you have to tend it much more closely. 'Course, lots of guys like that, since it gives them an excuse to not to anything else besides "watch the smoker", but I'm too busy for that.e

The Big Green Egg is a good choice if you have the money, want versatility (it's a grill, an oven, a smoker) and don't care about cooking a lot of food at once. They are very heavy, very breakable, and the flashbacks when grilling at high temps scare the heck out of me.

Good luck!

Lee

WOOT! Looks like i found a keeper. the weber smoky mountain.

CHEERS!

Hey, can you smoke those big whole chicken breasts?

with the bones and skin on them?

Last edited:
Mylegsbig said:
Hey, can you smoke those big whole chicken breasts?

with the bones and skin on them?

Yes, sure. They don't take long, since you want to "smoke" poultry at a higher temp than you would say, ribs, pork butt or brisket.

Also, you don't want to use more than say 2-3 chunks of wood for flavoring, since poultry absorbs smoke quickly and easily.

You would shoot for a pit temp of 325 to 350 for poultry to have a shot at crisping up the skin, and breast meat should not be cooked higher than an internal temperature of 160 degrees.

Lee

thanks lee how long would you estimate they take to cook?

they will taste a **** of alot better on a smoker than in my oven right?

Mylegsbig said:
Alright, smoker with an attached firebox, and a weber is good.

I do not need a smoker that big however, for a 20 lb turkey. sounds like youd have to buy alot of fuel.

I just want a smoker to maybe cook a piece of meat that weighs 5 pounds or so and a rack of ribs....

the turkey took a bag and a half of charcoal.

Mylegsbig said:
thanks lee how long would you estimate they take to cook?

they will taste a **** of alot better on a smoker than in my oven right?

If you can get the smoker up to 350, they would take as long as they would in the oven, probably 45 minutes to an hour, to get to an internal of 160.

They may taste better to YOU than they would in your oven, especially if you love smoked chicken. But I LOVE oven-baked chicken. I use my smoker at home for things like spare ribs, country ribs, pork butt, beef brisket, bacon, ham, Atomic Buffalo Turds, and maybe the occasional turkey breast.

Lee

Wow i had totally forgotten about atomic buffalo turds I read about those awhile back and they sounded INSANELY good..... i cant wait to get my hands on this smoker!

New to smoking!!??

NO, MLB!!! It is bad for you, you never should have started!!

Oh, excuse me I thought you were talking about cigarette smoking...:-p

CharlieD said:
Well, if you are about to start smoking, I tell you make sure to get a real Cuban cigar none of that Dominican stuff, ...

oh-oh, you're talking about smoking meaaaat.........:)

:LOL: I am havin a Gran Habano Corojo Churchill #5 tonight. Now that is SMOKIN:ROFLMAO: Ok This guy is not listening....he must get the BBQ with the firebox or he is not going to be happy. Looks and price does not spell true BBQ.

Bangbang said:
:LOL: I am havin a Gran Habano Corojo Churchill #5 tonight. Now that is SMOKIN:ROFLMAO: Ok This guy is not listening....he must get the BBQ with the firebox or he is not going to be happy. Looks and price does not spell true BBQ.

I don't know, it seems that BBQ pit i was talking about gets AWESOME reviews.

I assumed it had a smoke box built in? Are you saying the pit i linked is not a good one?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom