New Toy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just found that a funny contradiction. Actually, I now live on the edge of a 4000 acre wildlife management area. I think it's a more accurate term. Every fall you can hear the gunshots from just about a mile away during the deer and bear hunting seasons. Still, I see deer and turkey almost every day, even in winter. I'd rather see them culled than starving or frozen.

That's why having a garden up here is going to be difficult.

Nope, my shop vac has a bag. I'd be worried if ash started coming out of the exhaust. For anyone reading these exchanges, the ash is cold and the vacuum has no safety pictures or warning labels so common sense must be applied about using the vacuum.:ohmy::ROFLMAO:

Yep. I use a bag in mine as well. Still, the fine ash gets into the motor housing, on the ball and onto the inside surface.
The bag must allow air to pass through it. That's why some ash still gets past it.
I always blew mine out with compressed air when changing the bag. There were always fines inside. The cloud of ash was proof enough. It was quite obvious though, even before blowing it out.
If you say there are no fines in your motor housing, fines on the inside surface and all over the ball, you would not be honest.

I worked in a clean air production facility once and we used some of the finest filtering equipment money could buy. Vacuum was the method of material transport.
No matter how good it was, there was always some fines that got past the filtering medium. Always.

No it is not heavy at all. It is not a ceramic. It is insulated steel. Cooking grate is 14". It weighs about 15-20 pounds. Stands about two feet tall. I have the Regular size Akorn as well. It is the size of the large Big Green Egg. The Akorn weighs about 120 pounds and that is about half or less than the BGE. Both versions of the Akorn are very portable.

It weighs about 35 pounds with the grate in and fully assembled. It is 27 inches high and about 23 inches wide.
It is a beast. It can smoke for 12 hours at 225 on a small amount of lump charcoal and can get to 700 degrees to sear a ribeye. Many folks who owned the larger version and then bought the smaller, rarely use the larger anymore, unless they have larger cooking needs.

Oh, and this grill runs about $145 on Amazon with free 2 day shipping if you have prime. The larger Akorn costs about $300, both an amazing value. Compare to other kamado grills at an average of about $900.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom