New Yakitori grill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the additional comments. The grill will get further modification over the weekend such as welding the charcoal grate mounts, drilling out small intake holes, making a small cutout underneath for easier ash disposal, and so forth... I will also get rid of the top cooking screen as I did not like the skewers resting directly on them. I already have another idea for that.

I love the name YAKMAN, btw!....:))

A friend snapped this photo with her phone camera the other night. The grill was placed on a concrete ledge.
Riceballs on the left side, chicken in the middle, and beef on the other end...

Attachments

• yakitori grill.jpg
    yakitori grill.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 3,856
Last edited:
I worked a little more on the grill yesterday which included adding carrying handles and modifying the cooking surface. Intake vents in the back and ash cleanout at the bottom were also added. Will do some more grilling on it during the week to see how well it performs...

Attachments

• P1070292.JPG
    P1070292.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 668
I love the design, roadfix, it's sleek and antique.

*dawg, I just saw your question, how do i know the yakitori is a boy?' the usual way, dawg....(wink)

Last edited:
I love the design, roadfix, it's sleek and antique.

*dawg, I just saw your question, how do i know the yakitori is a boy?' the usual way, dawg....(wink)

:LOL: And there's Vit, looking underneath the yakitori....

Last edited:
RF, I'm sure it will be very functional, but I'm also taken with the artistry of the piece.

It looks like something that would be in a funky high class shop for the rich and famous of the Hollywood set. At the very least, I'd post a picture and a hefty price at Etsy - Your place to buy and sell all things handmade, vintage, and supplies

You could always keep your prototype masterpiece and make another for someone else.
http://www.etsy.com/

He would have to make another one. Looks like this one is being used on a regular basis. The food looks yummy!

I did another test run last night, with some chicken bits. The skewers resting on the metal rails are so much easier to manage with this setup.
I also cut out a small grate which can be placed on the rails for grilling non-skewered items like small slabs of salmon, for instance.

The briquettes burned out completely by morning for easy cleaning and disposal of ash.

img_1277390_0_8292c3ff8a662a9b4c7f9cbdcf74a292.jpg

img_1277390_1_f46dab3fa88a6c9c64da4682f688adce.jpg

Looking good.

What happens when you turn the skewer and the food decides it wants to stay cooked side down? I suppose you could double skewer if that was a problem, but some sort of grate helps with that.

You should make something to cover and smother the coals when you are done cooking. It may not be a lot, but I don't like wasting the charcoal. I find my grill is not good at smothering so I dump mine in a small metal trashcan that is now my dedicated ash can. I then sift the ash from the lump and reuse what isn't burnt up.

Grade A work on this though. Bravo.

What happens when you turn the skewer and the food decides it wants to stay cooked side down? I suppose you could double skewer if that was a problem, but some sort of grate helps with that.

Since the skewered bits are small and light in weight (these bamboo yakitori skewers are only about 5" in length) I don't seem to experience that problem of them spinning around the round bamboo skewers. But as far as the entire skewer turning over due to weight imbalance, that doesn't happen either because the meat at the pointed end of the skewer rides on top of the rail. Also, each skewer is in contact with one another as they cook so they stay put, and will not turn over on their own.

I can see this problem with kabobs and round skewers. The heavier bits of meat will spin. Of course, in this instance using flat skewers will solve this problem.

Really great job on this. I especially like that you welded it yourself.

I think a little stand could be easily added so it's counter height. This would be perfect for "tailgaters" since it's compact and produces finger food. I believe they would sell faster than you could make them once they caught on.

Back
Top Bottom