Oil-less Turkey Fryer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paymaster

Sous Chef
I bought an oil-less fryer this week and used it the first time today. Now I am impressed! It worked great and the turkey was moist and tender. Only problem is that the bird I had was too big for the basket in the unit. I cut the legs of and smoked them along with three fatties. The legless bird fit the basket good and it took a little over 2 hours to cook. No more expensive peanut oil. My old turkey pot is now my Low Country Boil pot! Here are some pics.

img_1090343_0_5d6b9ea2b06230d671481b3b912802d7.jpg

img_1090343_1_366184595377e5db12507a83c32ec959.jpg

img_1090343_2_2bc4e5e29637146fd5429de6dc98dee4.jpg

img_1090343_3_bb78bd7bb999d8fcdc9d1542b10a160e.jpg

img_1090343_4_2ca5503b74ff93a1cac1516006593941.jpg

Me too, how does that work? I suggest that it might not be actual frying but more like some sort of vertical roaster.

The results look good!

Fatties?

Looks great, but I would also like to know how it works. What brand is it, and where did you purchase it?

Okay, I'm interested. Looking at this one on Amazon:
Amazon.com: Char-Broil The Big Easy Oil-Less Infrared Turkey Fryer: Patio, Lawn & Garden

...it appears to be a specialized form of high temperature roaster. I suppose calling it a "fryer" can be forgiven, since the intended finished product is similar, but only for some forms of food. But it's billed as a "turkey fryer," so that's okay by me. If they had called it a "roaster," they would have missed their target market. (The bold use of the term "infrared" is sort of lame.)

It appears to be a tubular chamber with a surrounding catalytic propane element. They say the mesh lid is to reflect some of the "infrared" and to let hot air out. I'll buy that, it not a baker. So, why do we fry? Because oil can get a lot hotter than water. And because oil can surround the food, which matter a lot with, say, French fries, but perhaps not so much with turkey, since turkey is close to being a solid lump of meat. So, they're hitting the turkey with intense radiated heat. Different from the conductive heat of frying, but should work. So, as I said, a specialized roaster, and isn't that ultimately what frying is, a "roaster" that equally treats all sides of the food?

If I was inclined toward turkey frying (which I'm not), I'd consider this one, if only because it avoids the mess, cost and hazards of oil.

Don't know about all the science behind the Big Easy, but I know this,It will pay for itself next cook and the turkey tastes like one that is fried! It was very tender and moist inside. The whole gang loved it. To me that is all that matters.:chef:

Me too, how does that work? I suggest that it might not be actual frying but more like some sort of vertical roaster.

The results look good!

Fatties?

Fatties are a chub of breakfast sausage that is rolled out flat and covered with cheese and then rolled back up into a log shape. I wrap mine in bacon as well. Then cooked in a smoker until the internal temp is 165*. Let cool completely and eat as you would Summer Sausage,sliced and eaten with crackers. Just another snack food creation.

Fatties are a chub of breakfast sausage that is rolled out flat and covered with cheese and then rolled back up into a log shape. I wrap mine in bacon as well. Then cooked in a smoker until the internal temp is 165*. Let cool completely and eat as you would Summer Sausage,sliced and eaten with crackers. Just another snack food creation.

Wow! ... You leave out the calories, right? ;)

It occurs to me that it might put a beautiful finish on a ham, too. Do they talk about anything other than turkeys in the instructions?

It occurs to me that it might put a beautiful finish on a ham, too. Do they talk about anything other than turkeys in the instructions?

Inside the box was a guide to cooking various meats and a small pamphlet of recipes. A friend on another board did a whole Prime Rib. Says it was great.

I have this. Charbroil its a grill, roaster, smoker you can even bake with it. I have the gas version. Its great, especially for beginner smokers and so many uses. Travels well too. We take it with us when we go camping. I purchased it on hsn or qvc at the time it was today's special value and even if it wasn't, it was still best price at that time. I also got some of the different accessories for it from the charbroil website.

I have a Char Broil Infrared 3 in 1 and love it. I haven't done a turkey yet though.

I also have a big easy and can't say enough good about it. Best Turkey - EVER. I brine the bird over night and then dry it off. A 16 lb turkey takes about 2 and 1/2 hours. Absolutely amazing.

Back
Top Bottom