Rusted Lodge Hibachi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
Stupid, stupid me. Left the little darling to cool, and then it rained. And now it's all rusted. I hacked at it with a wire brush, but may need to resort to more drastic measures.

I have Dremels with wire wheels, would this be a good idea? Some info I read says yes, other info says don't do it. Ideas?

If it is only surface rust you should be able to brush it, wash it, wipe it down with cooking oil and build a fire in it to sort of reseason it. Do it in an area where the smoke won't bother you.

Aunt Bea said:
If it is only surface rust you should be able to brush it, wash it, wipe it down with cooking oil and build a fire in it to sort of reseason it. Do it in an area where the smoke won't bother you.

Thanks, Bea! Crud, I can't believe I did that....

Interesting. I don't have anything rusty to experiment with right now, but I'd be curious to try this and see how effective it is. I have plenty of onions, though.

My first thought for your predicament is if you have a self-cleaning oven, you could put the rusted part of the hibachi in the oven and run it through a cleaning cycle. Once you've done that, then reseason the hibachi. I'd think that would do the job.

Or, place it on your outdoor grill and fire up the grill to "nuclear" and cook the hibachi and, again, reseason.

Katie H said:
Interesting. I don't have anything rusty to experiment with right now, but I'd be curious to try this and see how effective it is. I have plenty of onions, though.

My first thought for your predicament is if you have a self-cleaning oven, you could put the rusted part of the hibachi in the oven and run it through a cleaning cycle. Once you've done that, then reseason the hibachi. I'd think that would do the job.

Or, place it on your outdoor grill and fire up the grill to "nuclear" and cook the hibachi and, again, reseason.

Okay, here goes. I scraped off as much rust as I could, put the whole thing in the oven, and have initiated the self-cleaning cycle.

Wish me luck!

Oven needed cleaning anyway.

I'd take it to an automobile engine repair shop or a machine shop and ask them to sand or glass bead blast it for me.

Sir_Loin_of_Beef said:
I'd take it to an automobile engine repair shop or a machine shop and ask them to sand or glass bead blast it for me.

Great idea! Would have never thought of that either, Sir Loin. It has another 3 hours in the oven. We will see what we get.

Dang, I'm mad at myself!

Scrubbing it with oil and salt will also remove the rust. It's a good way to clean it all the time. Works well and makes it almost non-stick.

I've brought rusted CI back to life. It just took a lot of wire brushing with a small grinder and re-seasoning. I've never done it to a hibatchi before. I can't say that I'd even bother, as long as the grates were OK. Well, maybe I would, maybe I would clean and paint the outside with high temp paint.

My next step will be taking the Dremel wire brush after it. Love my power tools. Cover it in veg oil and cook the heck out of it.

Guess there's not a whole lot you can do to wreck 25 pounds of cast iron.

You're right, Pac, I'm concentrating on the grate.

Last edited:
pacanis said:
Yes. You can say it got rusty being carried to school each winter to cook your lunch. ;)

Uphill. Both ways. And I don't have to bend over to pull my socks up with my right arm.

Last edited:
And lets not forget how Kwai Chang had to carry his hibatchi around!
Come to think of it, that was winter, too! :LOL:

Attachments

• YouTube_-_kung_fu-20080303-045544.png
    YouTube_-_kung_fu-20080303-045544.png
    110.9 KB · Views: 393
pacanis said:
And lets not forget how Kwai Chang had to carry his hibatchi around!
Come to think of it, that was winter, too! :LOL:

Did he have to bend over to pull his socks up? Prolly not!

Re

I have loads of Cast Iron including Griswold, Wagner, and Lodge. I've picked it up
at various yard sales & flea markets.

If it's anything larger, you can line a box with a lawn and leaf bag to make like a bath tub. Then put one piece of your iron in and use regular cola soda to pour over it and soak it and then wire brush it to get the rust etched off. Those Dollar Tree stores sell
3 liter bottles for a buck and a few bottles of that may be enough to bring a piece of iron back to it's base metal.

Once cleaned and rinsed and dried, you can re season it in the oven with oil. I use Flax Seed oil on mine. It is an edible oil that does a good job on Iron.

Depending on how rusted you may have to allow the iron to sit in the cola soda for awhile.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom