The Dangers Of Using A Wire Brush On The BBQ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have no problem leaving my grill dirty until the next time I use it. Then I turn it on full blast to pre-heat and walk away. 10-15 minutes later any food residue is ash and I just brush it off. Then I oil before cooking.

A guy here who is a hog raiser also has a cooker on wheels that he takes to many pig roasts each year. He never cleans the grates until the day before an event. That keeps the cooking surface well oiled for rust prevention. He will fire it up the day before and burn off any residue from the previous outing. He's been doing that for some 40 years.

A guy here who is a hog raiser also has a cooker on wheels that he takes to many pig roasts each year. He never cleans the grates until the day before an event. That keeps the cooking surface well oiled for rust prevention. He will fire it up the day before and burn off any residue from the previous outing. He's been doing that for some 40 years.

Though I've never roasted a pig, I've been cleaning the same way for about 40 years as well.

I'm in that same boat of preheat, burn off the crud, brush away the ash, oil the grill grates with a paper towel (this makes for a non-stick surface).
I use a Tool Wizard BBQ Grill Brush, which uses a metal scouring pads that I replace regularly.
https://toolwizard.com/store/index.cfm/product/30_48/tool-wizard-grill-brush.cfm
I learned this method, as well as this product, from ATK and Cook's Country, it's worked for me.
I also agree that by leaving the organic matter until the next BBQ, keeps the grates from rusting, having lived in Hawaii for most of my life, it works.
We did have a cheap-o grill brush like that fellow, but threw that out, and yes, I agree, I think this "reporter" is a buffoon. :LOL:

I do the same with my Webber Charcoal kettle.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom