What kind of grill do you have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have an el cheapo charcoal grill that is on it's last legs, plus a little Smokey Joe we used when in the trailer (I even made a cover/carrying case for it). For the first decade or two of our marriage we had nothing but Webers, but find that we like the ability to raise and lower the grill that the cheaper one allows. When in Hawaii, we had a big Weber, then every couple of years bought a cheap hibachi at the end of the season, when they went on sale. That way we could cook for a crowd or for just two. Now I rarely cook for "just two", throwing on tons of veggies, chicken breasts, wings, or extra chops/steaks for future meals. So our next grill will likely be a store brand similar to the one we have. Not crazy enough about smoked meats to own a smoker ....

We have a nice gas grill (can't remember the brand, but got it at Lowe's). What a difference it makes - I think we grill at least 3 dinners each week on it.

Inthekitchen: I recommend you read up on grilling with Alton Brown's book. (I think it's called "I'm just here for the food" or something like that) You can pick it up at your local library. There is a lot of great info on grilling!

BBQ Grill

Whatever you get, the first and most important thing is the adjustment of the grill on which the food sits! Believe me you will really enjoy this feature because you will be able to control the heat which reaches the grilling food and thus cook it to the correct desire.

Pete said:
Whatever you get, the first and most important thing is the adjustment of the grill on which the food sits! Believe me you will really enjoy this feature because you will be able to control the heat which reaches the grilling food and thus cook it to the correct desire.

Should be stated that this is important primarily in a charcoal grill. With gas grills you can adjust the flame instead. I think an equally important feature in a gas grill is to have multiple burners so you can cook either directly or indirectly. :mrgreen:

One to many grills

We have a
1. Small Old Smokey
2. Large Old Smokey
3. Gas Grill
4. Mini Table Top Grill
5. Small Smoker
6. The Big Boy Smoker with Fire Box

My husband obviously likes to BBQ.

I make the beans, potato salad, and peach cobbler. :)

We just have a cheap charcoal grill. Been using it for the past 5 years or so and it's still going strong. My nephew grills year round and he has two of the Old Smokey's, big and small. He loves them.

:) I just got a Weber Q 200 and I love it .I got the adapter to attach a LP gas tank its the best for me and so convenient.

I have to change my answer, as we got a new grill recently.
It's a Jenn-Air Stainless, and it's amazing how much you can
fit on the grill! Last night we had a big potluck, and my
husband cooked chicken breasts...26 at one time!
044376277642md.jpg

I have 2 Weber Genesis Gold with side burner, 2 Weber charcoal grills, and 2 Weber Q's. Nothing beats a Weber. I prefer charcoal way over gas but love the convenience of the gas grill. I have two homes one in Michigan where I spend the summer and my home in Las Vegas where I live. I'm grilling all year long.

I'm a charcoal person through & through (sorry, have never liked gas grills & never will - can't see the point), & purchased one of those big barrel-shaped "Char-Grill"s, complete with the sidebox, for my husband for Fathers Day 8 or 9 years ago.

It's still going strong, & we LOVE it, even using it on nice days in the winter, since we have many mild winter days here in VA. Definitely a quality product.

jkath said:
I have to change my answer, as we got a new grill recently.
It's a Jenn-Air Stainless, and it's amazing how much you can
fit on the grill! Last night we had a big potluck, and my
husband cooked chicken breasts...26 at one time!
044376277642md.jpg
Holy smokes! Is that 5 burners?!? I applaud anyone that can keep track of that much food on the grill.:clap:

I have two grills. One is a Brinkmann smoke-n-grill. I've never smoked on it, but it works super as a charcoal grill. With a full chimney of briquettes it will stay hot for at least 4 hours or so! Then my new toy is a Brinkmann 3 burner gas grill. I love it. It has plenty of space for setting plates, utensils, spices, etc on the side racks. I have always heard that the Webers are great, but I don't like the burner knobs on the right side like that.

Breezy,
Most people probably prefer charcoal, but gas is much faster and easier. That is the point.

I too have a Char-Griller with the Side Fire Box. I finally made the switch from Gas to Charcoal with the Char-Griller and am very happy with my decision.

I love how versatile it is and the amount of cooking area.. I definitely recommend the brand as I have been very satisfied so far.

-Brad

Vagriller - but isn't it exactly the same as cooking on gas burners inside? I know that it's easier & faster, but I can't see the difference between inside cooking over gas & outside cooking over gas. Is there any flavor difference at all, or is it just the novelty of cooking outside?

BreezyCooking said:
Vagriller - but isn't it exactly the same as cooking on gas burners inside? I know that it's easier & faster, but I can't see the difference between inside cooking over gas & outside cooking over gas. Is there any flavor difference at all, or is it just the novelty of cooking outside?
There actually is a huge flavor difference Breezy. As the meats cook the juices drip down and hit the hot surfaces. They vaporize and the smoke rises and flavors the meat. Not to mention that you can use wood chips for some smoke as well. I would not want to try that inside :LOL:

Charcoal has a better flavor IMO, but the convienence of gas outweighs the flavor difference for me.

I have a Jen-Air 45 gas grill. While I'm not totally in love with it I do cook most things on it. It's really big as far as gas grills go with 4 burners, a ceramic burner for a rotisserie, a side burner, and lots of cast iron & stainless steel. I got it about 4 years ago for a steal. It listed for $995 at Lowe's but I only paid $100.00 and it even included a free full propane tank and optional rotisserie and optional side burner.

I think when I build my outdoor kitchen I will remove the base and set this unit into my outdoor kitchen counter. I think it will look more at home this way.

GB said:
There actually is a huge flavor difference Breezy. As the meats cook the juices drip down and hit the hot surfaces. They vaporize and the smoke rises and flavors the meat. Not to mention that you can use wood chips for some smoke as well. I would not want to try that inside :LOL:

Charcoal has a better flavor IMO, but the convienence of gas outweighs the flavor difference for me.

Right. The last time I grilled on my gas grill there was so much smoke pouring out of that thing it looked like the house was on fire!:mrgreen:

I will probably still get the charcoal grill out, but only on weekends or special occasions.

Charcoal fans here. HH is in charge of the grilling and BBq-ing - I am like JCook and do the other stuff. We have two fairly ancient cookers - could not tell you the names- and gave a R2D2-shaped smoker away to BIL.

When I was single I got a lot of use out of my little cheapie hibachi grill. Do they even make those anymore?

Yes, they do Mudbug. You can usually find them in the home/garden big box stores in the beginning of the season. I'm thinking of picking one up next year for little Thai Satay appetizers & stuff like that while other larger fare is going on the big grill.

Back
Top Bottom