What kind of grill do you have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use a gas grill with a side-mounted smoker box. I use the smoker box to add flavor at least 75% of the time... usually with hickory or cherry wood.

bb2-s_bb_side.jpg

My wife complains the grill blocks her view to the backyard, but I could never go back to a smaller grill again.

Russ

only charcoal for me, but wood wood be fun (I make joke!)

I think name of my grill is webber

RPCookin said:
Should be stated that this is important primarily in a charcoal grill. With gas grills you can adjust the flame instead. I think an equally important feature in a gas grill is to have multiple burners so you can cook either directly or indirectly. :mrgreen:

I control the heat on my Webble Kettle by adjusting the air vents. I always cook with the lid on and get superior result compared to cooking without the lid. This goes for everything from hot dogs and brats, to crown roast, hams, turkeys, etc.

I haven't found anything so far that the webber Kettle can't do well. Though I have to admit that jerky would be much easier with a different, cold smoke type set-up. I get around that by lightling just a few briquesttes and surounding them with soggy wood to creat the smoke. Also, by using cut wood disks, rather than chunks, I can shield foods from direct heat when required. I love my Webber.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

After cooking on the almost-dead cheapo this weekend, we decided to throw it away when the snow starts to fly (we still have the little smokey joe) and buy a new Weber in the spring. It is simply a better product. Like others have said, it is just a different method of cooking that I have to get used to again. By the way, our original, small, bright red Weber was given away when we burned through the kettle, and friends of ours turned it into a planter (we were moving back to Hawaii and wanted to offload anything that wasn't in good shape). For all I know it is still in the backyard of some strange Colonel's quarters in Fort Monroe, full of petunias.

Claire said:
For all I know it is still in the backyard of some strange Colonel's quarters in Fort Monroe, full of petunias.
Would you like me to check? I am at Fort Monroe now! And its a beautiful day for a walk.:chef: I could take a picture tomorrow, didn't bring the camera today.

Our charcoal grill just died on us. Found a big whole under it. We're saving up for a smoker/grill. For now, we have to settle for mesquite smoke flavoring.

if you want to help save your charcoal grills, be sure to empty out all leftover ashes when they have cooled off, and make sure no water gets inside the grill.
water, when mixed with ash, creates lye (aka caustic soda). lye is a caustic alkaline substance that will eat away at your grill if left to sit there. it is also dangerous to people and pets, so it's best to keep them away while you are cleaning your grill.

as my old little league baseball coach used to say, "take care of your equipment, and your equipment will take care of you."

Brother. After saying that we found a grill at Wal-Mart (not a Weber) that we liked the looks of. I like the fact that you can raise or lower the coals, it has a warming rack, and a removal system for dead coals and ash. We assembled #@#**#@!@## it and initiated it this weekend with some kal-bi style ribs and some Hungarian paprika roast pork.

I have 3

1. Gas Grill - great for holding items, quick chicken breasts, veggies toasting bread.

2. Webber Kettle - main work horse. I use this for all my meats. I like the lump charcoal for steaks and quick cooks because it gets hotter and briquettes for longer slower cooks. Lump is very sensitive and can go out if you adjust it too low. It also burns alot quicker. Always use a chimmeny to start your coals and not fluid.

3. Large Brinkmann Verticle smoker with a side box. Great for long smokes. I can do up to 6 briskets at a time. Also great for pork butts and ribs.

A buddy of mine recently bought the new Webber Bullet and swears buy it for smoking. It does a good job but isn't big enough for me.

Even though this is WI they get used all year long.

JDP

1st Post for me

Hey I just found this forim and I won't comment on the par-boiled ribs thread......:ROFLMAO: ......Anyway I have a Traeger smoker the built in version a Viking Tru-Sear( doesn't get used much) and Grillbbq.......which is on a trailer for camping and tailgating and a Weber Smokey Mountain.........I use the Traeger for just about everything and cook out side 3-4 nights a week year round.....

OK. firstly, welcome to discuss cooking.

Secondly, I too have a Treager, they are a great smoker or smokey grill. I use it for all my smoking as I have also added the cold smoker to it and it works.

I want to build a smoke house and a charcuterie room with all the necessary parts to make real sausage and cured meat, this isn't it but; in the mean time it will [ the Treager] allow a lot of good tasting playing.

Why would anyone parboil ribs. They might make OK stock but what else.

Now I know I just sounded like a Pompous *** but; this technique does not work unless your goal is to create stock. Slow smoking at 225 degrees is my prefered method and I think you will find it far better. Yes, it does take more time but it will produce a better product.

Last edited:
Old Easy Roast. The burners can be raised or lowerd by means of a switch. 1" spit can accomodate 3 turkeys or about a 100# piece of meat. It has 2 18k btu burners and 1 12k btu burner. Yes, I replaced the knobs.

img_387175_0_7a201cefd72145dcbea14ebabb8b0f93.jpg

Klose mobile offset
Traeger mobile
Klose fajita grill
2 Weber Rancher Kettles
3 Weber Smokey Mountain cookers
3 Primo Oval ceramic cookers
a Large Big Green Egg
there are 3 more grills but don't get used much
I competition cook and have a catering company specializing in BBQ
Jim

Using a Big Green Egg, I have disposed of all other grills. Love the flexibility from smoking to 750 degree searing. Allegedly I make the best prime rib on the island, have done great turkeys and chickens, seared some superb steaks and Ahi tuna blocks and done just about anything a grill can do.

Most of the work does not require my presence since you "set it and forget it" not to be confused with another quite good grilling equipment (of the electric kind). The minimal use of good charcoal is simply amazing since a 20 pound bag lasts me several months even though we grill out several times a week. We can do that here in Hawaii, ha.

Corrosion is our enemy here in the tropics - there is nothing to corrode on the Big Green Egg. It will last a life time. The one my neighbor had was at least 40 years old; he just failed to move it when he came here.

Put that on your grill and smoke it.

Aloha, Big Kahuna

The Big green Egg is the BOMB!!!:mrgreen: I love my BGE. I work at a grill store and had my pick of grills ranging in price from $250.00- over $12,000 but the BGE was the only choice for my own grill. I can grill, smoke or bake in my Egg. :chef: The meat taste better then anything I had ever made in the past.
My name is Renee and... I am an Egghead.:-p

We use a Weber Gas Grill which is 25 years old. It still makes wonderful food!

Back
Top Bottom