A question about canning with onions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freki

Assistant Cook
I have a large batch of banana peppers I want to pickle with some onions. My question is how would I process it? I know onions need to be pressure canned, but would them being in with the peppers and the vinegar increase the acidity enough to just do a boiling water bath, rather than pressure canning (and potentially making a jar of mushy onions and peppers).

The recipe I have and have been making for years for pickled green tomatoes contains a hearty amount of sliced onions. These pickles are processed in a water bath and I've never had any adverse effects.

I also have a recipe for pickled beets, via Martha Stewart, that includes onions and is also processed in a water bath.

Seems like you'd be good to go.

I agree with Katie, you should be fine using a water bath. I've pickled stuff with onions for years without a pressure canner.

As long as your pickling solution is at least half 5% vinegar you'll be fine pickling pretty much any vegie in a boiling waterbath.

If the stuff you are pickling is acidic enough, it can be hot water bath canned. The vinegar should make it acidic enough. It will depend on the strength of the vinegar and the ratio of vinegar to vegis.

As long as your pickling solution is at least half 5% vinegar you'll be fine pickling pretty much any vegie in a boiling waterbath.
Oops, I didn't notice that you wrote "...at least half...". I only noticed that you mentioned 5% vinegar.

Back
Top Bottom