Advice on freezing salmon pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BenLothair

Assistant Cook
Hi, I cooked 2 salmon fillets one night, cooled and refrigerated them, then used them the next night to cook a salmon/leek pie. So, as I have "heated/cooked" the salmon twice, can I freeze the cooked pie? And if so, then can I cook it from frozen?

Thanks,

Ben

Well most food regulations allow restaurants to reheat their food twice. So you should be ok for one more reheat. But the leftovers from the second reheat should be consumed within 6 hours or thrown out.

Thank you. And as a follow up: if the Salmon was frozen before I got it, then I thawed and then cooked it in a pie, am I right that I therefore cannot freeze the cooked pie - because if I thaw it again then that will mean the salmon will have been frozen and thawed twice? Or is there any difference because it was raw the first time and cooked the second time?

Thanks,
Ben.

Thank you. And as a follow up: if the Salmon was frozen before I got it, then I thawed and then cooked it in a pie, am I right that I therefore cannot freeze the cooked pie - because if I thaw it again then that will mean the salmon will have been frozen and thawed twice? Or is there any difference because it was raw the first time and cooked the second time?

Thanks,
Ben.

No - to the part about not being able to freeze and reheat the cooked pie.

This is similar to using tinned salmon (packed raw into the can and cooked in the can during processing) to make salmon patties (mixed with other ingredients and fried) and then freezing them so you can reheat and serve them at a later date.

What you have described is similar to this - you cooked the salmon (like in the canning process) and then made the pie from the cooked salmon (like making the salmon patties) an then froze it/them (like freezing the cooked salmon patties). If you thaw and reheat, or reheat from frozen, it should be just fine.

Back
Top Bottom