Another sauerkraut question - do you make kraut by the signs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abby

Assistant Cook
I'm from the southeast US & everyone here goes by the signs when making kraut. They wouldn't dare start kraut when the signs are anywhere from the waist to the feet. Do any of you watch the signs or do you just make kraut when you feel like it? After all if you start the kraut when signs are in the head by the time it's fermented it's been through the entire astrological system. Thanks.

LOL - I hadn't heard anyone talk about this in years! My grandmother used to do all of her gardening by the signs - and there were things she canned or cooked by the signs, too. In fact, I think all of my aunts and uncles did, too (Grandma had 7 brothers and 3 sisters who were all in the farming, ranching, dairy or egg business). I think the Old Farmer's Almanac had to be the second most read book in the house!

Wow! I had no idea the signs were that specific.. no wonder my Kraut is so bad...

But how do you know "when to breed animals"? I thought that was sort of up to them..

Eric, Austin tx.

OK, after reading the whole thread and following the link I now know that by "by the signs" you mean according to astrological signs, and that there are apparently certain days that the signs indicate are better for activities like making sauerkraut...

But what is this stuff about "from the waist to the feet" and "head" of an astrological sign? Do different days correspond to different body parts? Is it a progression from head down to feet?

I know I'm not an expert on astrology, but this is completely new to me.

Thanks all!

russellkhan, each astrological sign represents a body part. Sagittarius is thighs, Gemini - arms, Pisces - feet, Aries - head, Taurus - neck, Cancer - breast, Leo - heart, Virgo - bowels, Capricorn - knees, etc.

What is confusing to me is, it doesn't matter what day the signs are in when you assemble the ingredients for the kraut, by the time it is fermented it's gone through all the signs.

Wow! I had no idea the signs were that specific.. no wonder my Kraut is so bad...

But how do you know "when to breed animals"? I thought that was sort of up to them..

Eric, Austin tx.

Breeding by the signs often meant finding another person's bull when your cow came in season, etc. Kept the gene pool fresh, and avoided the lethal gene problems of continuous inbreeding.

My dad went by the signs in the almanac and he definately did his kraut that way but one year he forgot to check the almanac and it smelled like someone did something,,,it was really gross,,,so from then on he made sure he checked the signs and it was in the bowels when he checked the almanac,,,,he never made that mistake again,,,just thought i would share that,,,

Back
Top Bottom