Anyone else canning salsa?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marigeorge

Senior Cook
I spent Sunday afternoon canning salsa. I will do another batch and hope it will last through the winter.

img_655445_0_99f8d2c4525627cca71a61154f4e4e46.jpg

I will be but not until September when my tomatoes are all done ... your's looks beautiful (& yummy!).

That looks so good! Care to share the recipe?

I will be canning some but so far I only have had 4 red tomatoes.

The Best Recipe Book around, showing in the background. Recommend everyone get it. Lots of proven and tested salsa recipes in it and everything else.

I cheat though with my salsa. I go through it too fast so I use the Ball Mild Salsa Mix and canned diced tomatoes if I don't have fresh handy. You have a choice to put in the refrigerator or go through the canning process. I put in the refrigerator and then gobble it up.

Here is the recipe I used....but with a few changes: no tomato paste, only 1 tablespoon of sugar, 3/4 cup bottled lime juice and 1/4 cup cider vinegar. Last year I made it with the full amount of sugar and tomato paste, we found it to be far too sweet for our tastes.

ANNIE’S SALSA
8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained
2 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 1/2 cups chopped green pepper
3 – 5 chopped jalapenos
6 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp pepper
1/8 cup canning salt
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup 5% vinegar or same amount of bottled lemon or lime juice (BWB)
16 oz. tomato sauce
16 oz tomato paste
Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil, boil 10 minutes. Pour into hot jars, process at 10 lbs of pressure for 30 minutes for pints. OR BWB 15 minutes for pints and 20 minutes for quarts after the BWB comes back up to the boiling point.
Makes 6 pints
1/2" headspace in the jars. Be sure with boiling water bath to use the full cup of 5% vinegar.
Yes, you can sub any kind of peppers you want as long as you keep the quantities of low acid ingredients the same.
You can do more onion, less pepper or vice versa, as long as the total is the same.
Same thing with the acid. You can use any combo of vinegar (at least 5%), lemon or lime juice (bottled only for consistency, not fresh).

Is that big book you have by Ball, marigene?
I have a little Blue Book by them, but I LOVE a good bible sized book for things like that...
I ended up with 3 for learning to garden, and my point in gardening was to do alot of canning, etc.

The Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving has 400 extra recipes and information so it goes well with the Blue Book.

I also recommend the "Small-Batch Preserving" Book if you are a more modern canner and want to do it with less than 30 lbs of produce, etc., if you know what I mean.

And I just received the "So Easy Preserving" book from the University of Georgia ($18 including s/h) and it is FABULOUS! 376 pages, plastic comb binding, just like your club fund raiser cookbooks. The recipes are mouth watering. I highly recommend. Do a Google search to find the University.

Yay!!
More books to put on my Amazon list!
DH usually needs x manymore $$ of stuff to get free shipping on his Reef Aquarium books, so I have a wish list... and he doesnt even have to ask.
:)
I love internet!
Thank you.

Small Batch Preserving is an excellent book. Like you state, you don't have to make enough for an army. A couple other interesting books for anyone that likes to make jams/jellies/preserves/chutnies are Preserves Catherine Atkinson & Maggie Mayhew and Mes Confitures The Jams and Jellies of Christine Ferber. There are some interesting combinations in both books.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom