Canning Apples and Pears need recipe please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pierogi Princess

Senior Cook
I just harvested a ton of apples and pears from my fruit trees. Can someone help me can them.... need recipes and helpful techniques. I do have a pressure cooker canner if this is the process they need.

Thank you in advance canners.;)

I make a Swiss apple pie, will try to dig up the recipe if you're interested. It's very easy and crustless, uses a ton of apples, and also freezes well. When my tree is prolific, I can't keep up. Lots of apple sauce, apple butter, and dehydrated apple slices. Ball and Kerr both have TNT canning recipes.

You can do both sauce and butter in the CP or in a roaster pan in a low oven, and freeze or can them from there. Dehydrating them uses a ton of apples, using one of those twirly core/slice/peel things saves a lot of work for any of the recipes. I have 2 and recruit DH to help with the prep.

Would imagine you could do pear butter, sauce, dehydrated, etc., or combine with apples as well.

It's both a blessing and a curse!

Last edited:
I make a Swiss apple pie, will try to dig up the recipe if you're interested. It's very easy and crustless, uses a ton of apples, and also freezes well. When my tree is prolific, I can't keep up. Lots of apple sauce, apple butter, and dehydrated apple slices. Ball and Kerr both have TNT canning recipes.

You can do both sauce and butter in the CP or in a roaster pan in a low oven, and freeze or can them from there. Dehydrating them uses a ton of apples, using one of those twirly core/slice/peel things saves a lot of work for any of the recipes. I have 2 and recruit DH to help with the prep.

Would imagine you could do pear butter, sauce, dehydrated, etc., or combine with apples as well.

It's both a blessing and a curse!

I would love the recipe for the swiss apple pie. Also, you not going to believe this, but I don't know how to make or use apple or pear butter. Can you help me.

Pierogi Princess said:
I would love the recipe for the swiss apple pie. Also, you not going to believe this, but I don't know how to make or use apple or pear butter. Can you help me.

I will scrounge it up. Check out the online recipes. You can add some lemon juice and water after slicing to keep the slices from browning. I
freelance, cook peeled or unpeeled and sliced apples with cinnamon, maybe some nutmeg, honey or brown sugar, a bit of apple juice or water, on low in a CP. Cook as long as you want it thick. House smells fantastic. The stuff will cook down quite a bit.

The fruit butters are great with pork chops, with or without some cream cheese on toast, pancakes, crackers, or a bagel. Or straight from the jar! If you are not familiar with canning, it's not hard, but pretty tedious, I would recommend freezing. Make sure you have all the jars, funnel, etc.at the ready.

I will scrounge it up. Check out the online recipes. You can add some lemon juice and water after slicing to keep the slices from browning. I
freelance, cook peeled or unpeeled and sliced apples with cinnamon, maybe some nutmeg, honey or brown sugar, a bit of apple juice or water, on low in a CP. Cook as long as you want it thick. House smells fantastic. The stuff will cook down quite a bit.

The fruit butters are great with pork chops, with or without some cream cheese on toast, pancakes, crackers, or a bagel. Or straight from the jar! If you are not familiar with canning, it's not hard, but pretty tedious, I would recommend freezing. Make sure you have all the jars, funnel, etc.at the ready.

I found one recipe on Allrecipe.com - does this come close:

Ingredients

• 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup chopped, peeled tart apple
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Directions

1. In a bowl, combine the egg, sugar and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir onto egg mixture just until moistened. Fold in apples and walnuts. Transfer to a greased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
I will look up the apple and pear butter recipes in my Kerr canning book. Yes, I do can a lot, so I will take that route. Thanks for the suggestions on what to use it on.

I made pear sauce this year, and it is great. All I added was a little cinnamon. I left mine chunky, but some folks like it smoother. I canned it, using an apple sauce recipe.

This is from Living History Farms cookbook. It's TNT, uses lots of apples, is super simple, and freezes well.

Swiss Apple Pie

4 cups sliced apples.
1T sugar
1tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup melted butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1 egg
Dash salt

Place apples in pie plate or oblong dish. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Combine butter and remaining ingredients; spread over apples. Bake in 350° oven for 45 minutes. Good served slightly warm with ice cream.

Recipe from Mrs. Harold Meinders

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom