"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2017, 05:43 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Canning Chili

Can i can the chili that i make for my family? I found a bunch of recipes for canning but i like the one i make. Can i just use the same pressure and time as said in the recipes but use my own recipe?

ibraosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:20 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibraosa View Post
Can i can the chili that i make for my family? I found a bunch of recipes for canning but i like the one i make. Can i just use the same pressure and time as said in the recipes but use my own recipe?
It depends what is in the recipe. Many thickeners like flour and cornstarch are discouraged, although I think clear jel is okay. No dairy and it must be pressure canned not water bath canning. The meat should be lean or the fat drained off after browning as high amounts of fat can reduce storing time.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:16 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I think you have to look at what makes yours different from the other recipes you are looking at for the chili. If it is just the spices then I would say no problem.

But I don't do pressure canning so I honestly can't say - if yours has more meat does it make a difference? Don't know. Shouldn't think the quantity of beans would make a difference. Tomatoes? again don't know. Guessing you have to do ;some research! Good Luck! and keep us posted. I'm sure there are others here who will benefit from your experience.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:38 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking

I agree with the above. Here is a tested, approved chili recipe with beans and beef. How is yours different?

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_05/chili_con_carne.html
Old 08-03-2017, 10:40 AM   #5
Head Chef

If you make chili with beans, it can only be canned in pints, not quarts. It is a density issue.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:12 AM   #6
Cook

I can chili with beans as needed. Of course pints as mine is rich with beans. The thing is, it will get very thick, like condensed soup thick and, will need water, or tomato sauce added when you warm it up to eat later.

I use venison for the meat if I am canning it, ultra lean, no fat to worry about. If I had to use grocery store meat, I'd buy a very lean, tough roast and trim the fat, then grind the meat myself to get as close to 99% lean as I could.

The other option is to can no meat chili, then add meat when you want to eat it but, that doesn't work for leftover chili.
BlueMoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:16 AM   #7
Sous Chef

I use lots of beans so I just freeze it.

Tags
canning, chili