Canning Chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ibraosa

Assistant Cook
Can i can the chili that i make for my family? I found a bunch of recipes for canning but i like the one i make. Can i just use the same pressure and time as said in the recipes but use my own recipe?

Can i can the chili that i make for my family? I found a bunch of recipes for canning but i like the one i make. Can i just use the same pressure and time as said in the recipes but use my own recipe?

It depends what is in the recipe. Many thickeners like flour and cornstarch are discouraged, although I think clear jel is okay. No dairy and it must be pressure canned not water bath canning. The meat should be lean or the fat drained off after browning as high amounts of fat can reduce storing time.

I think you have to look at what makes yours different from the other recipes you are looking at for the chili. If it is just the spices then I would say no problem.

But I don't do pressure canning so I honestly can't say - if yours has more meat does it make a difference? Don't know. Shouldn't think the quantity of beans would make a difference. Tomatoes? again don't know. Guessing you have to do ;some research! :LOL: Good Luck! and keep us posted. I'm sure there are others here who will benefit from your experience.

I can chili with beans as needed. Of course pints as mine is rich with beans. The thing is, it will get very thick, like condensed soup thick and, will need water, or tomato sauce added when you warm it up to eat later.

I use venison for the meat if I am canning it, ultra lean, no fat to worry about. If I had to use grocery store meat, I'd buy a very lean, tough roast and trim the fat, then grind the meat myself to get as close to 99% lean as I could.

The other option is to can no meat chili, then add meat when you want to eat it but, that doesn't work for leftover chili.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom