Canning curry sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
I went to the Nat’l Center for Preserving, or whatever it’s called, and tried to find out if curry can be pressure canned, but found nothing definitive. Can it be done? Curry sauces usually contain oil and/or butter, and I don’t know if they stand up to the heat and time. When pressure canning, acidity isn’t an issue, right? Only for water baths, is my understanding.

I also googled “pressure canning curry sauce,” but again, I came up with just vague articles. There were a couple of recipes, but I’d like to make my own, I just don’t know if it can be canned!

What you need to do is look at your ingredients and compare them to how long it takes to safely pressure can each one. Then use the longest time for your canning time.

Oil and butter cannot be safely canned, so you will need to leave them out of your mixture and include them later.

What you need to do is look at your ingredients and compare them to how long it takes to safely pressure can each one. Then use the longest time for your canning time.

Oil and butter cannot be safely canned, so you will need to leave them out of your mixture and include them later.
Thanks for the advice! Butter, no. Got it. What about oil?

In addition to no butter or oil (even in coconut milk), spices change flavors with any processing whether it is pressure canning or freezing. Some spices will lose flavor, some will become more pronounced or bitter. I don't think I would can curry sauce myself but if you so choose to do it, let us know how you like it and if it turns out okay.

In addition to no butter or oil (even in coconut milk), spices change flavors with any processing whether it is pressure canning or freezing. Some spices will lose flavor, some will become more pronounced or bitter. I don't think I would can curry sauce myself but if you so choose to do it, let us know how you like it and if it turns out okay.

That's probably why there are no recipes out there for canning curry sauce.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom