Canning Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just canned some quarts of Ms. Wages Bread and Butter pickles. I followed the directions to the letter however I have a great deal of liquid in the bottom of the jars. At an inch sometimes more. I packed the jars tight as per directions they were water bathed for 5 minutes per instructions. Any ideas why so much liquid? This also happens when I can peaches and tomatoes no matter how I pack the jars.

Thanks Robert

Heating/Cooking shrinks foods. BTW, increase your processing time to 10 minutes which is the latest information from the authorities. It also eliminates the necessity for pre-sterilizing (an almost useless procedure) jars before filling.

Yes, you 'start' with a stuffed full jar of peaches (for example) and filled with liquid. When the jar comes out of the canner you see a jar that is only two-thirds full of peaches and the jar is still filled with liquid. The peaches shrink.

Yes. And also the fact that most foods float (to the top) which makes the liquid seem more obvious at the bottom. The experienced canner, especially those that want to submit their creation for judging at a County Fair, perfect ways to keep those issues to a minimum.

Me....I just give the jar(s) a shake after they've cooled and the contents will spread out a little and not look as strange.

For some tested and approved recipes such as found in the Ball Blue Book offer a choice between doing a "raw" pack or a "cooked" pack. With pre-heating the shrinkage occurs before the food goes in the jar. Pre-heating is extra work and often is not worth the effort if you have a lot to process.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom