Canning question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilcee

Assistant Cook
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I used to can years ago using one of those big water canners. I'd like to start canning again but I have a smooth top/ceramic cook top. I'm thinking of getting a pressure canner so I can do some other things besides peaches and pears. I always did everything in a canner but that was over 30 years ago and now I hear you're not supposed to do tomatoes in it?
That's what my Mom always used too.
Anyways, back to my question - what kind of pressure cooker would be good and would it be better to get a separate burner to use so I don't scratch up my cook-top?

Thank you, I'm glad I found this forum, looks like a lot of great info.

oops, sorry. I had that backwards I guess. You do tomatoes in the water bath and low acid in the pressure canner. Right??
Also, I heard that there is a difference between a pressure canner and pressure cooker. I thought they were the same thing. I sure have a lot to learn again after all the years of not canning. So many new things.

I too have a glass top, and got a separate burner to do water bath canning. Not expensive. I have also used a steam canner I got from GardensAlive that works well for small batches. It has a big dome top with a small water well. The book "Summer in a Jar "has great recipes for steam canning. It was written a number of years ago but everything I have made from it has been fab!

Pressure cookers scare me! (wimp).

Last edited:
oops, sorry. I had that backwards I guess. You do tomatoes in the water bath and low acid in the pressure canner. Right??
Also, I heard that there is a difference between a pressure canner and pressure cooker. I thought they were the same thing. I sure have a lot to learn again after all the years of not canning. So many new things.

Tomatoes may not be acid enough by themselves for water bath canning. It's safer to add some acid (lemon juice, citric acid, etc.) to tomatoes for water bath canning.

A pressure canner is a pressure cooker. It's just designed to easily hold canning jars and it's usually big. You can pressure cook in a pressure canner. A pressure cooker can be used for pressure canning smaller amounts, if the jars fit easily.

I too have a glass top, and got a separate burner to do water bath canning. Not expensive. I have also used a steam canner I got from GardensAlive that works well for small batches. It has a big dome top with a small water well. The book "Summer in a Jar "has great recipes for steam canning. It was written a number of years ago but everything I have made from it has been fab!

Pressure cookers scare me! (wimp).

I'm kinda scared of pressure cookers too so not sure what I want. I heard you can't use the water canners on a glass top. What kind of burner did you get? I've been doing a lot of research before I start canning. I've never heard of a steam canner. Thanks for the info.

Tomatoes may not be acid enough by themselves for water bath canning. It's safer to add some acid (lemon juice, citric acid, etc.) to tomatoes for water bath canning.

A pressure canner is a pressure cooker. It's just designed to easily hold canning jars and it's usually big. You can pressure cook in a pressure canner. A pressure cooker can be used for pressure canning smaller amounts, if the jars fit easily.

Thanks for your info.

I was scared of pressure cookers/canners too.

Then I saw a Presto pressure canner:

presto-canner-third-view.jpg

You have to line up those flanges with the gaps between the flanges in the lid and twist it shut. That looked pretty convincing to me, that the lid wouldn't come off in use. I'm still nervous about the ones that don't have flanges like that.

Funny story: some friends of mine were pressure cooking a chicken and forgot about it (not a good idea). Eventually the entire chicken flew out through the emergency vent (less than a 1/2 inch opening in the lid) and implanted itself in the ceiling above the stove! No damage to the pressure cooker other than needing to replace the rubber doohicky that goes in that vent. :ROFLMAO:

I was scared of pressure cookers/canners too.

Then I saw a Presto pressure canner:

presto-canner-third-view.jpg

You have to line up those flanges with the gaps between the flanges in the lid and twist it shut. That looked pretty convincing to me, that the lid wouldn't come off in use. I'm still nervous about the ones that don't have flanges like that.

Funny story: some friends of mine were pressure cooking a chicken and forgot about it (not a good idea). Eventually the entire chicken flew out through the emergency vent (less than a 1/2 inch opening in the lid) and implanted itself in the ceiling above the stove! No damage to the pressure cooker other than needing to replace the rubber doohicky that goes in that vent. :ROFLMAO:

That's funny lol.
That presto - pressure/canner looks good. Do you know if you can use it on a glass cook top? I'm kinda afraid of scratching it or cracking it. Maybe I should get a separate burner

lilcee said:
I'm kinda scared of pressure cookers too so not sure what I want. I heard you can't use the water canners on a glass top. What kind of burner did you get? I've been doing a lot of research before I start canning. I've never heard of a steam canner. Thanks for the info.

My burner is a GE double burner I got from Walmart. Probably $ 20. You plug it in. There are other models.

I think the weight of the water is why they don't rec water baths on glass tops. I have done it, but was nervous, hence, the purchase of the separate burners. Then I got the steam canner.

Check out gardens alive.com website for the steam canner. It is so much easier than water bath, and perfectly safe. Takes so much less time to heat the water. Check out the cookbook too.

I blanche, skin and freeze my tomatoes, also dehydrate. I agree, need acid for any type of WB canning.

Will post my Dilly Green Beans rec, almost as good as Grandma's, set your teeth on edge!

Have a couple pressure cookers I have never used if you would like to buy! (again, wimp).

Happy canning!

Last edited:
That's funny lol.
That presto - pressure/canner looks good. Do you know if you can use it on a glass cook top? I'm kinda afraid of scratching it or cracking it. Maybe I should get a separate burner

I have never used a glass cook top. I have read here that most of the scratching comes from sliding ones pots and pans on the surface. I think that with a big, heavy, pressure canner sliding it would be a real issue. With the weight of a full pressure canner, I can easily see it bumping the surface hard when putting it down.

My pressure cooker phobia came from, as a kid, a lady from our church was severely burned from an exploding pressure cooker. I realize they have come a long way, but personally, I would rather swim with sharks.

BTW, love my glass top!

Last edited:
That's funny lol.
I have this pressure canner. It does have a flat bottom. Which is necessary for a smooth top/glass stove. You do however, need to check with your owner's manual for the stove because not all of them are able to handle the weight of a canner with water and jars of food. Check you manual, make sure you have a flat bottom canner. Also you must not slide the canner across the glass you need to lift it up and set it down. Ball now makes a flat bottom, stainless steel, water bath canner with a glass lid so you can actually see the boiling inside. It is higher in price than the traditional enamel canners but the only flat bottom one that I know of. I got mine "here"

I do wish that I had gotten a different pressure canner. I found out I would like the one with the gauge, and the pressure regulator weight with settings of 5, 10, 15 psi. My reason is that if you have just the regulator like the Presto does you have to have that checked every year for accuracy with you local county exchange office. At least with both the gauge and the weighted regulator you have a back up to know pressure without having to have the gauge checked each year. My new Presto gauge was off new out of the box so I always have calculate the adjustment for what the gauge is off.

My pressure cooker phobia came from, as a kid, a lady from our church was severely burned from an exploding pressure cooker. I realize they have come a long way, but personally, I would rather swim with sharks.

BTW, love my glass top!

My cousin had an attack of appendicitis and her roommate in the hospital was a poor lady who had a girdle and a polyesther pantsuit on when hers exploded. She over-filled it and it couldn't vent, thus the explosion.

My mother kept using hers, though I wouldn't go in the kitchen when it was being used. I would never buy one as an adult though someone gave us one a couple of years ago. We've used it a few times but never anywhere near capacity and I'm still hesitant about using it and a bit nervous even though they have come a long way.

My cousin had an attack of appendicitis and her roommate in the hospital was a poor lady who had a girdle and a polyesther pantsuit on when hers exploded. She over-filled it and it couldn't vent, thus the explosion.

My mother kept using hers, though I wouldn't go in the kitchen when it was being used. I would never buy one as an adult though someone gave us one a couple of years ago. We've used it a few times but never anywhere near capacity and I'm still hesitant about using it and a bit nervous even though they have come a long way.

I'm really not sure what I want now. My husband says pressure canner and I say water bath one. I've never used a pressure canner. I'm mostly going to can fruits (peaches, pears, apples, cherries). If that's all I'm canning then a water bath would do the work wouldn't it? I'm nervous about getting a pressure canner. I can't use a water bath canner on my cook top but I can get a separate burner for that. I think the only reason he was thinking of a pressure canner was so we could can things like beets and beans.
Decisions, decisions :ermm:

I'm really not sure what I want now. My husband says pressure canner and I say water bath one. I've never used a pressure canner. I'm mostly going to can fruits (peaches, pears, apples, cherries). If that's all I'm canning then a water bath would do the work wouldn't it? I'm nervous about getting a pressure canner. I can't use a water bath canner on my cook top but I can get a separate burner for that. I think the only reason he was thinking of a pressure canner was so we could can things like beets and beans.
Decisions, decisions :ermm:

If it were me, I would get the pressure canner. You can water bath can in a pressure canner.

When I had a pressure canner, I used it for all my canning. Sometimes it's quicker. The big advantage was that I never had a lid not seal (or a jar break) in the pressure canner. I seem to remember that it didn't heat the kitchen as much.

When I split up with my ex, he got the pressure canner. I can't think of any other thing I regret more, letting him keep.

If it were me, I would get the pressure canner. You can water bath can in a pressure canner.

When I had a pressure canner, I used it for all my canning. Sometimes it's quicker. The big advantage was that I never had a lid not seal (or a jar break) in the pressure canner. I seem to remember that it didn't heat the kitchen as much.

When I split up with my ex, he got the pressure canner. I can't think of any other thing I regret more, letting him keep.

Thanks for all your help. That's probably what I'll do
Happy Easter! :)

Several things--I work for U of Missouri Extension, and we get a zillion canning questions. You need to be safe, whatever you decide to do.

Water bath canning is for high acid or high sugar foods--fruit, jellies, jams. Pressure canning is for low acid foods, like beans, beets, meats. Tomatoes kind of fall in the middle, and adding extra acid is necessary for safe waterbath canning. (Just cause Mama or Grandma did it that way, and didn't kill anybody, doesn't mean you can do it that way!)

Pressure canners and pressure cookers are NOT the same. A pressure canner is larger and has something (a gauge or weight) that allows you to adjust the internal pressure. A cooker is generally smaller and not adjustable. You need the larger volume for canning, because the time that it takes to get the canner up to pressure is calculated into the recipes. A smaller cooker takes less time, so your food may not be processed long enough. (Lots of people call their pressure canners 'cookers', so sometimes it is a matter of common names. If you have a gauge or dial, and if you can put 4 quart jars in it, it is a canner.)

I do most of my canning in the pressure canner (I almost said pressure cooker--that is what I call it, but it is big and has a weight) because it is quicker and it does heat the kitchen up less than a big waterbath canner.

New canners (and by that, I mean canners made after about 1975) have multiple safety features that pretty much eliminate horrible accidents. They have a rubber or soft metal safety plug that melts when the canner overheats--if you run off and leave your pressure canner/cooker on the stove, you will come home to find the contents on the ceiling, but the canner itself will not explode. (Following directions and paying attention will pretty much eliminate the food on the ceiling problem!)

This site National Center for Home Food Preservation | USDA Publications has everything you need to know to can safely (and stuff about freezing and drying.) As a beginner, be wary of internet recipes, granny's recipes and any books besides this one or the Ball Blue Book--New Ball® Canning Products

Ball has another book with more tested recipes, but I can't remember the name of it right now--we have it at the office.

Use real canning jars--not mayo jars. Don't reuse the flat part of the lid--you can reuse the ring.

And enjoy--there is great satisfaction in hearing that little 'ping' as the jar seals, and seeing your hard work lined up on the counter. Of course, popping the top on a jar of summer canned tomatoes in the dead of winter is pretty cool, too!

There are lots of home canners on this board--don't hesitate to ask questions.

These two books contain tested recipes.

One more thing--a pressure canner or water bath canner is HEAVY. Make it easier on yourself by putting the canner on the stove, pouring water in from another pot, and then put the jars in. When the food is processed, lift the jars out, then dip the water out with a smaller pot or big measuring cup.

If you use a portable burner, do all this outside on the porch--keeps your kitchen cooler and less messy. Be careful if you use a burner inside--you will be generating a lot of heat--don't melt your formica or crack your granite.

I have heard of folks using a big turkey fryer for canning.

Last edited:
Thank you for that info on pressure canners Sparrowgrass.

Since I read in Joy of Cooking, "Be sure also to exhaust the air from the canner for at least 10 minutes before closing the petcock or steam vent so that no cold spots develop to cause the food to be under-processed." I thought I could use a pressure cooker for canning. I stand corrected.

The canner that I no longer own :ermm: was a Presto, sold as a canner (in ~1987), but it didn't have a dial. It had weights for 5, 10, and 15 lbs pressure. Is that good enough?

Back
Top Bottom