Canning this year?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Canning, bottling, both seem inaccurate when the containers we use are called jars. Why aren’t we “jarring” our pickles, salsas and jams?
Because bottling came first. The inventor of the process heated food in sealed bottles, and won a prize offered by Napoleon, who wanted a way to feed his soldiers reliably throughout the year. Next came commercial canning, because metal cans are sturdier than glass bottles. Finally, home canning with thick glass jars became a thing later in the 19th century.

That's probably why Australians refer to it as bottling - coming from Europe during that time, they would have had that name for the process.

16 pints of whole and quartered onions, to use in stews and with roasts.

My wife made 30+ jars of pepper jelly, and finished off the last of our red beets and pickles.

Attachments

• IMG-20180822-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20180822-WA0001.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 124
14 squat 8 oz jars of green peppers pressure canned, plain not pickled.

Hi I'm in New Zealand and we are influenced by mother England. Hence we are opposite seasons from you. Last summer we preserved 30 litres of tomato sauce,20 litres plum sauce, 5 litres mint sauce all in glass bottles. 40kgs of curried onions in jars. Can't wait until it's summer again

Russ

8 qts 2 days ago and 10 qts today of tomato sauce, so far, 31 qts plus the ketchup.

Beth, '16 tomatoes were great.
'17 tomatoes a bust, only 1/3 our regular harvest.
'18 tomatoes just started 2 weeks ago, and they are gang busters.

I have my hatch chilies mostly on the plants still. Won't be long until I have to figure out what I want to do with them, besides just eat them. Some kind of canning. You've got a great crop of chilies you've already canned! Congrats.

Finished up all the pear preserves and Pear relish. waiting on the figs to ripen. Still struggling with finding a pickled Okra recipe like my Mom used to make. Anybody have a TnT recipe?

Did a batch of dill pickles but have a bushel of banana peppers coming in tomorrow. Thinking hot sauce. Never canned hot sauce before, any tips?

Beth, I was thinking about your yellow tomatoes all night. Are they going to ripen yellow? That would be a pretty sauce.

Would you mind sharing ways to can peppers or pepper sauce? Like a hot sauce, or a chili sauce, or have you canned them whole? Do roast and peel them?

Beth, I was thinking about your yellow tomatoes all night. Are they going to ripen yellow? That would be a pretty sauce.

Would you mind sharing ways to can peppers or pepper sauce? Like a hot sauce, or a chili sauce, or have you canned them whole? Do roast and peel them?

Most of my tomatoes this year area La Roma 111.
https://www.totallytomato.com/P/00422/La+Roma+3+Hybrid+Tomato

I plan on canning them as sauce in quart jars.

I can green chiles skinned, seeded and chopped.

Canning Diced Green Chiles - Simply Notable

I can green chile sauce using this recipe.

blog.bountifulbaskets.org/2012/09/10/green-chile-enchilada-sauce

Something curious has happened with this years chiles according to DH. For most New Mexicans, green chiles are all about the flavor. DH says my chiles remind him of the flavor from his childhood. He has an incredibly subtle taste capacity. He says for an instant, right before the heat is felt, you (he) can taste the flavor. He is in heaven with the flavor of this years chiles.

In the past I have canned chili sauce using the standard recipe from the Ball Canning Guide. I'll make some this year too.

Yes, I roast and peel the green chiles. I bought a home sized roaster this winter and have used it three times. I am not happy with the chiles yet. Tomorrow I am buying cases of Hatch green chiles to freeze. The grocery stores have roasters operating all day. You just take them home, steam in the bag for one hour, and pack into freezer bags, chill and freeze. I will probably buy most of our whole green chiles from the grocery and freeze them and can my own chiles.

Did I answer your questions?:D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom