Canning this year?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DH and I inventoried the big pantry on friday night. I'm just looking at the jams and not the pear sauce, apple sauce, pear butter, or apple butter, or fruit.
27 pints and 6 half-pints.
These were made over the years, so many different kinds. We don't eat them often enough. I started using the orange marmalade to make orange chicken, which helped. I'm sure the plum jam would be good mixed with bbq sauce for meat balls or chicken wings. Strawberry jam, on toast or on cheese cake. Peach, peach w/lavender, apricot, pretty much anything we grew or it went on a good sale.

I have plans for pressure canning green chilis and red peppers. And tomatoes, lots of those are coming in now.

Finished for the night. Ran out of time so will need to do some more salsa in the next few days.

My wife and I made 15x500ml jars of Salsa, 7x250ml of tomatillo salsa verde, and a whole bunch of pickled cabbage and cauliflower. Still have 6 jars of cabbage going in the water bath right now.

Attachments

• 20180809_214104.jpg
    20180809_214104.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 154
GE-nice accomplishment. Everything looks so great and I imagine when winter comes, you'll go shopping where you store all those canned goods (instead of through the snow to the store)!

Do you use the 2 piece screw caps and lids? A few years ago, we learned to store the jars with just the lids, not the screw caps. That way the screw caps don't rust onto the jar and you can use them over and over again, just wash them and dry completely and they stay almost new.

GE-nice accomplishment. Everything looks so great and I imagine when winter comes, you'll go shopping where you store all those canned goods (instead of through the snow to the store)!

Do you use the 2 piece screw caps and lids? A few years ago, we learned to store the jars with just the lids, not the screw caps. That way the screw caps don't rust onto the jar and you can use them over and over again, just wash them and dry completely and they stay almost new.
Good question. The other reason is that, with the bands off, it's easier to tell if the seal fails during storage. Apparently it's also best practice not to stack the jars.

We generally leave the bands on. We haven't had rust issues so far. We have so many bands we will never run out. We just buy new lids(discs) each year.
We don't stack ours usually, unless they are the small 125ml jars. We check each jars seal when we take it off the shelf.

I canned 10 half pints of caramelized onions yesterday and have 6 pints and one half pint in the canner right now. This has been absurdly easy to make and process. If you have a food processor, crock pot and a pressure canner, oh, and a lot of sweet onions, this is one of my best projects yet. I grew about 150 Sierra Blanca sweet onions this year. I use about 10 pounds of onions per batch. Slice and put the onions in the crockpot before you go to bed. In the morning start canning it.

It is divine.

Attachments

• DSCN7758.jpg
    DSCN7758.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 167
Bethzaring, those look very nice. How do you use them? I'm guessing you use them in stews or soups or with meat. I'm thinking of canning up onions too. Do you put anything in with the onions in the crock pot?

As we sat down last night to eat loaded potatoes, DH asked, where are the caramelized onions? It was the first time ever I opened a still warm from the canner jar of food. We top hamburgers with them, put atop fried eggs, add to omelets and add to any homemade soup. I just added some to a bowl of calabacitas for breakfast.

For 10 pounds of onions, I added 3T. butter and 2 t. salt. Stir once or twice while in the crock pot; I stir just before going to bed and as soon as I get up. I start the onions out on high for 2 hours and set on low overnight. Adjusted for 6000 to 8000 feet elevation, process at 14 pounds pressure 75 minutes for pints and 70 minutes for half pints.

Here's the batch that just came out of the canner

Attachments

• DSCN7762.jpg
    DSCN7762.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 128
I started my first roaster full of tomatoes to make sauce or ketchup. I haven't decided which to make yet. I'll know late tonight or tomorrow morning, they cook for a long time and give off their liquid, then canning tomorrow. MMMM love the smell of canning tomatoes.

Onions have been on my mind. These onions are currently being crockpotted for tomorrow's canning. The largest onion weighed 13 ounces!

Many years ago I canned an onion relish.

https://www.healthycanning.com/onion-relish/

I think my next batch of onion stuff will be onion relish..

Another thought/use for the caramelized onions is onion gravy. My most used recipe from Kadesma was her pork chops with onion gravy. I'm thinking onion gravy over mashed potatoes will appear on our menu soon.

Attachments

• DSCN7766.jpg
    DSCN7766.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
So what equipment do I need to get to start canning? Is there complete set up I can purchase? If so, does anyone have any recommendations ? I want to give it a go.

Thanks

So what equipment do I need to get to start canning? Is there complete set up I can purchase? If so, does anyone have any recommendations ? I want to give it a go.

Thanks
Well first, of course, you need jars, and lids and rims. Some people don’t bother with the rims, but they’re very convenient for when you’ve broken the seal but need re-cover it.

There are “starter kits” available. They usually include: a waterbath canner and rack for the jars, usually from 6 to 10 quarts; a jar lifter; a wide mouth funnel, a magnetic lid lifter, a jar opener, and tongs. Granite Ware has a 9 piece and a 12 piece kit. The 9 piece is priced at about $50 and the 12 piece is about $66 dollars. Both are available on Amazon, as well as the kits without the pots, anywhere in the range of $10 to $30. These are good if you want to choose your own canner, or if you’re diving immediately into pressure canning. Pressure canners don’t generally come with kits.

The pots in the kits are just for waterbath canning though. If you’re planning to pressure can, you’ll need a pressure cooker or canner. I believe that some IPs have a canning function. If you already have one, check your manual to see if it can handle canning, both waterbath and pressure. If you’re planning on purchasing one, make sure it can be used for both methods of canning.

If not an IP, you’ll want a pressure canner that can double as a waterbath processor. Avoid aluminum - it gets a nasty white powdery look after a few uses. It doesn’t affect the canning process, but it’s kinda yucky, and I wouldn’t actually cook in one. There are all manner of pressure canners out there; electric or stovetop, jiggle valve or release valve, made from anything from aluminum to enameled steel. Best advice from me would be to carefully consider what you want to do, what you’ll be canning, and how much you’re going to can and what size jars are you going to use. Then do your research before you buy. (I’ve been reading a lot of our members’ posts about shopping in thrift stores. You never know! There might be a 12 quart jiggle valve stainless steel pressure canner for three bucks just calling your name!).

The best advice, though, is to research the processes and the chemistry of preserving. There are many good websites, and scads of cookbooks both paper and digital. The cookbooks will have recipes that have been tested and proved safe for canning. Like a sushi trainee, you should probably stick with the tried and true recipes, although your culinary senses will more than likely tell you which ingredients are essential and which ingredients can be swapped out, omitted, or increased.

Finally, you will need space. Where are you going to put all this jars of pickles, cherry preserves, salsa, and roasted peppers. They’re not small, and you will accumulate enough that you’ll recall the tribbles from Star Trek. Not a Trekkie? Let’s just say that in a very short time, you’ll find yourself overrun by jars.

Good luck! Keep us posted and share some of the more unusual and/or especially delicious recipes you come across.

They’re not small, and you will accumulate enough that you’ll recall the tribbles from Star Trek. Not a Trekkie? Let’s just say that in a very short time, you’ll find yourself overrun by jars.

Not a Trekkie??

That's me sitting the the ' Captains Chair'.
look over my shoulder, thats Captain Kirk himself :)

There's a place in upstate NY that rebuilt the original Star Trek set from the actual original blue prints. When I heard William Shatner was going to attend the " Shattner Weekend" I couldn't past it up. While touring the set I hear an announcement " Captain on the Bridge, Captain on the Bridge" Sure enough i see Mr Shatner. I look at him and I said " What , are you trying to cut the line ( to sit in the captains chair) " Jokingly, and I sat down in it ( it was my turn). Not sure he totally got the joke, as he was overwhelmed with fans, but I thought it was kinda funny.

And thanks for the info and spending the time to give a lengthy response.

Attachments

• Captain kirk.jpg
    Captain kirk.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 152
Tried and true, brand new from a place I trust https://www.lehmans.com/category/canning.
For safety, I would not purchase a pressure canner from a thrift shop unless I KNEW what I was getting and understood all the gaskets and seals required of the canner.

Upstaging Shatner! Bet he thought it was funny.

Last edited:
Hi Larry - kinda depends on what you want to can. Jellies, jam and preserves are canned in a water bath canner. Easy to find at Walmart or on Amazon. I have one for pints and 1/2 pints and one for quarts. For most veggie I use my pressure canner. I have the size that will take 8 quart cars. I use it for green beans, tomatoes and such.

go buy you a Ball Canning book.

There is a USDA canning guide https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwizlIKeiPncAhUPMd8KHS7CAxwQFjADegQICBAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.healthycanning.com%2Fusda-complete-guide-home-canning%2F&usg=AOvVaw35fTj_-ugA8URD_2zok-9l and many other such publications that Mr. google can find for you.

the URL that BethZaring has in an earlier post in this string is very good.

Pears are ready for canning here in NW GA. I did 8 pints of pear preserves and 6 pints of Pear relish. YUM!! My Okra is also in full now so pickle okra is on its way.

Hi Larry - kinda depends on what you want to can. Jellies, jam and preserves are canned in a water bath canner. Easy to find at Walmart or on Amazon. I have one for pints and 1/2 pints and one for quarts. For most veggie I use my pressure canner. I have the size that will take 8 quart cars. I use it for green beans, tomatoes and such.

Knowing me, it will primarily be for tomatoes , as of now, my freezer has been overtaken by frozen tomato puree from the garden. I could also see myself doing something with peach and apples which I pick at local farms. Those would be my primary needs, but as I experiment and get more trustyworthy of the process and my abilities, Im sure Ill expand to other things.

The pots in the kits are just for waterbath canning though. If you’re planning to pressure can, you’ll need a pressure cooker or canner. I believe that some IPs have a canning function. If you already have one, check your manual to see if it can handle canning, both waterbath and pressure. If you’re planning on purchasing one, make sure it can be used for both methods of canning.

People who want to can safely* get their information from the USDA, the companies that make the jars and authors who know their stuff. Despite what the manufacturers say, the USDA does not recommend using electric pressure cookers as canners because they have not been tested to be sure they maintain the necessary pressure and temperature throughout the canning process. This is especially important because items that are pressure-canned are low-acid so botulism is a risk if they are not properly canned.

Larry, here are some places to start learning about canning:
- https://nchfp.uga.edu
- http://foodinjars.com/canning-101-archive/
- https://www.freshpreserving.com/recipes/

*Yes, there are people who push the limits and don't follow the rules.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom