"Canning time" question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sadie33

Assistant Cook
I am dong a batch of pickled beets. I have 6 pint and half jars. Can I use a pint jar for the 7th and process it the same time as the other 6?

I usually process the pint and half the same time as quarts.

Thanks

Forget it...It says to process pints and quarts for 30 minutes so I guess it wouldn't matter.

I only make them 1x a year, so I always forget it's the same time for both. :LOL:

Hear you on that one sadie! I too only do the beets once a year and have to look it up each time. :LOL:

Throw a dry red chili pepper in a couple of the jars - nice zip to them!

Hear you on that one sadie! I too only do the beets once a year and have to look it up each time. :LOL:

We made some pickled beets with some chile infused vinegar a neighbour gave us because, it was too hot for her. Those were good beets. So, I like the idea. When you put the chile pepper in the jar, is it whole or do you cut it open first?

My husband would like that! He doesn't care for the spiced ones with cinnamon and clove so I leave those out, but he would like that!

Thanks for the tip!

taxy, just a whole chile but no reason you can't snap it in half. The vinegar and processing take care of the rest.

7th jar no problem.
And yes, thumbs up to the chile, whole or broken. I´ve also added dill weed, mustard seeds and coriander seeds to pickled beets. I´d never put cloves or cinnamon in there - the taste pairing just doesn´t match.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom