Counterfeit canning supplies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skagit Canner

Assistant Cook
My local suppliers are out of canning supplies, so I ordered $100 worth of lids & bands from an outfit called ballcannlids.com recently. Their website is one of the 1st ones that come up on a search with Google or Bing. I didn’t notice the suspicious ‘double N” in the word “can,” or I would not have ordered from them. The website says “proudly made in America” & features US flags. Yesterday I received the package from China. The lids are NOT genuine Ball lids; they’re made in China, and many of them have small dents. The gaskets are all white, without the typical brick-red sealing gasket that we expect on Ball (and Kerr) lids. Now I see multiple bogus websites for canning supplies, including one that says it’s “official,” and includes warnings about counterfeits--but the website contains the misspelling “officicial” on the header! I’d love to hear if anyone has had success with Chinese lids and bands. I reckon I’ll return them, so as not to have to worry about botulism.

I never heard of counterfeit canning supplies before. I wouldn't trust them. I'll pay attention if I'm ordering online, now that I know that such a thing exists.

Welcome to the forum! And thanks for the heads up on this company - doesn't surprise me at all, with the shortage of canning supplies I've heard about.

Atlas jars

Classico pasta sauce seems to come in one quart Ball style canning jars. The jars are labeled "Atlas Mason" but I see that Atlas went out of business in the early 1960s. The rings and lids do fit on a real Ball jar.

Should I use them or put the glass into the recycle bin?

Classico pasta sauce seems to come in one quart Ball style canning jars. The jars are labeled "Atlas Mason" but I see that Atlas went out of business in the early 1960s. The rings and lids do fit on a real Ball jar.

Food manufacturers use equipment and processes that are not available to home canners. I don't think it's a good idea to use them.

I would be concerned about the jars breaking during canning or while cooling down from canning. In any case, save the lids. I use those lids once I open home canned foodstuffs. They are much nicer to use than the two piece lids. No, I'm not saying to use those Classico lids for canning. I use the jars for storing food. I even put them in the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom