Dead vines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christlna

Assistant Cook
The preservation rule states: Caution: Do not can tomatoes from dead or frost-killed vines. Green tomatoes are more acidic than ripened fruit and can be canned safely with any of the following recommendations.

Acidification: To ensure safe acidity in whole, crushed, or juiced tomatoes, add 2 tablespoons of bottled lemon juice or 1/2 teaspoon of citric acid per quart of tomatoes. For pints, use 1 tablespoon bottled lemon juice or 1/4 teaspoon citric acid. Acid can be added directly to the jars before filling with product. Add sugar to offset acid taste, if desired. Four tablespoons of a 5 percent acidity vinegar per quart may be used instead of lemon juice or citric acid. However, vinegar may cause undesirable flavor changes.

Does this mean that green tomatoes from dead vines are safe and ripe tomatoes are not? The green tomatoes that are in good shape and not damaged can safely be used in green tomato salsa?

Welcome to the forum!

I've eaten a lot of tomatoes that ripened on dead vines, through the years, and I'm still alive! Can't tell you about canning them - usually not enough, late in the season. I've also pulled a lot of green tomatoes from dead vines, with no problem. However, for the green tomato salsa you speak of, you are probably looking for tomatillos, not unripe tomatoes. I can't say about the difference in the acid, compared to live plants. There are many classic green tomato relishes, and the like, such as picalili, which have vinegar and sugar, so are made for water bath canning, and are traditionally made in the fall, when the plants are on their way out.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom