Drying plum tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not exactly dried but more like what you get as "sun dried". You need to store them in the freezer.
But, take Roma/plum tomatoes and split lengthwise. Dip the cut side in olive oil and turn cut side up on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with basil if you want. Bake at almost any one of a number of temps.
250* for 3-4 hours.
300* for 2-3 hours.
425* for 1 hour--but watch them.
I put them in bags or plastic containers and freeze. If there is any sort of browned bits on the baking sheet remove it with the smallest amount of water and add. Can also toss with a little olive oil and freeze.

I do the same thing... only I add
a little salt, oregano, parsley and garlic powder to my tomatoes along with the olive oil and leave out the basil. You can you any spices that you want...or none at all.

( I use 250 for 3-4 hours...some times a little longer)

Sorry I have to disagree on this one. I've just made 30 kgs of dried tomatoes in the oven. Firstly, you must make sure they're unblemished tomatoes - any imperfections will affect the final flavour and might cause mould. Wash them, slice them in half lengthwise. Place on a baking sheet and sprinkle liberally with sea salt (you can always wash off the excess salt later if you wish). Bake at 225º for about 8 hours. Your tomatoes will wrinkle and turn a darker shade of red. Turn off the oven and remove the dried tomatoes. Plonk them into a brown paper bag. That is how to store them. I've been doing so for over 10 years in a tropical climate. NO problems. There is absolutely no need to keep them in the fridge; in fact, I've just bought 6 kgs of imported Italian sundried tomatoes which are sold in large plastic bags.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom