First time canning question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I am going to can for the first time, hopefully tonight. I have read my Ball Blue Book and think I understand the process. Here is my question:

The book says to heat the jars and lids for 10 minutes at 180 degrees. How important is it to have the temp at 180 and not get to boiling? Do I need to stick a thermometer in the water to make sure it does not go above 180? Will boiling water not work or damage anything?

I've never paid much attention to the degree - I bring my jars n' lids, then turn off the heat and cover that pot til I'm ready to use them. USE TONGS!!!

I've heard that the jars and screwtop rings can be boiled but the lids with the rubber seal should not be boiled as the higher temp can damage the sealing compound. (The gospel according to Alton Brown)

yeah my Ball Blue Book does mention that the lids can be damaged by the higher temps. So basically if I bring the water to a boil and then put the jars and rings in, turn off the heat then a couple of minutes later put the lids in then I should be OK right?

It just says to heat them to water that is 180 degrees. It doesn't go any further into detail, at least not that I have seen. I am going to give it another good read through before I get started though just so I am sure I know what I am doing.

GB, do you have a sanitizing cycle on your dishwasher? Most of them get to 180 to sterilize. I generally do my jars in there. My mom puts her lids on the stove and simmers them gently til she is ready to go.

What are you going to try to can first?

I don't trust my dishwasher Alix. It is the first appliance I was to replace in out kitchen. It seems to only work when it feels like it.

My first canning attempt will be kosher garlic dill pickled green tomatoes. I can't wait!

Boiling the jars for 10-minutes isn't necessary unless the recipe calls for sterilized jars, and they are processed in the boiling water canner for less than 10-minutes after filling. There are a few recipes for jams/jellies like this in the Blue Book.

Heating the jars to 180-F for 10 minutes before using does two things, it sanitizes them (kills up to about 99% of bacteria, and airborn molds and yeasts) - and it heats the glass to prevent breakage from thermal shock when you add the hot ingredients to them.

This is all covered in the section on Equipemt Preparation under Jar Preparation. Just follow the instructions and you will be fine.

This is what I do:

I put one jar filled with water into the canner and add enough hot tap water to cover buy at least 1 inch - and turn the heat on high. I then wash the jars, fill them with hot tap water, and add to the canner pot. When the pot comes to a boil, I let it go for a minute or two, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and proceed with my cooking.

You are right - you do not want to boil the lids. Just follow the instructions in the book and you will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom