Fruit curd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
This is a delicious alternative to lemon or orange curd. I make it when I have a glut of gooseberries in the garden and have far too many to use in fruit fools, tarts, crumbles etc!

1 lb gooseberries (cooking, not dessert)
2 eggs, lightly mixed
Scant amount, but certainly no more than 2 tbsp cold water
8 oz sugar
4 oz unsalted butter

Simmer the gooseberries and water until they are soft. When cooked, sieve fruits. When sieved, put pulp in a saucepan, adding butter sugar and beaten eggs. Stirring gently, allow mixture to thicken but not to boil as the eggs will cause the mixture to curdle.

Enough for 2 x 1lb jars. Pour into the jars, wait until cooled before covering and then keep in the fridge.

Last edited:
That sounds utterly deLISH! I am so envious, because I never have enough gooseberries to do anything with - not enough space for enough plants in a tiny courtyard garden already bulging at the seams. I just nibble them when wandering around my little garden. The ones I have are the Cape Gooseberries, the little greeny-yellow ones about the size of a garden pea, that come wrapped in little paper lanterns.

Daisy - I LOVE goosberries - they are not yet ready for harvesting, but I always have a real glut of soft fruits like black/white/red currants, strawberries, raspberries, loganberries and blackberries, as well as dessert and cooking gooseberries. Have never had much luck with Physallis though, and if I had some of those in my garden, I'd be eating them by the handful, too!

This sounds delicious!! Just one question, also the same for the homemade lemon curd, how long does it keep in the fridge?

I have to be honest and say that because I make it in small batches, it never lasts more than a couple of weeks in our house!

Ah, good!! If it lasts more than a week, that will be sufficient probably we will consume it even faster than you do!! I was just wondering because of the involvement of barely cooked eggs it might perish much faster... probably the amount of the sugar serves as a natural conservative..:)

Fruit curds should never be stored longer than one month - and always in the fridge. I've never managed to store any longer than a week, though - they are too more-ish. I've never tried freezing them, either, but I'm told lemon curd freezes quite well.

Daisy
The couple of pounds I make at a time are eaten very quickly (not by me anymore :( - but fruit curds are so easy and quick to make that it's no hardship to whip up a couple of pounds more at any time. Like you, I always refrigerate it.

Back
Top Bottom