Green Tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cajun_1

Assistant Cook
The days are getting colder. Winter is at the doorstep. Still have alot of greem tomatos on the vine. What can I do with these? Can or pickle them? Anyone have any ideas? Hate to see them go to waste, I worked so hard with them. Thanks

You can pickle them. My mom and dad used to do that. I have as well.

You can, of course make fried green tomatos.

Also, you could make this:

Green Tomato Oatmeal Bars

4 C Green Tomato, finely chopped
2 C Brown sugar, divided
2 Tb Lemon Juice
1 tsp Lemon Extract
3/4 C Butter, softened (1½ sticks)
1 1/2 C Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
2 C Oats
1/2 C Walnuts, chopped

Preheat the oven to 375 F.

Drain the tomatoes on paper towels for 10 minutes.

In a saucepan, combine the tomatoes with one cup of the brown sugar and the lemon juice. Simmer, uncovered, for about 30 minutes or until thickened.

Remove from the heat, stir in the lemon extract and set aside.

Cream the butter and the remaining brown sugar with an electric mixer.

Sift the flour, baking soda and salt together and add it to the butter/sugar mixture. Mix well.

Stir in the oats and nuts.

Press 2½ cups of the oat mixture into a greased a 13”x9” pan.

Spread the tomato mixture on top.

Crumble the remaining oat mixture on top of the tomato mixture.

Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.

Cool and cut into squares.

Cajun...

You don't say where you are in your profile, but if it were me I would not pull the green tomatoes until after the first frost. They will continue to ripen in the coming days. Obviously if you want to pickle some or use them in any other recipe that calls for green tomatoes then by all means do so.

Enjoy!

Sorry about the error on location Uncle Bob. It has been corrected. I'm in Idaho.

Not an error Cajun. It's a choice. No apology is needed!! It does help sometimes knowing where someone is to give a good response. So Idaho. Certainly you are looking at an earlier frost date than I am for sure! So you are wise to be thinking ahead for what to do with all of the green tomatoes. Green tomato relish/salsa type things may be an option.
As well as the ideas already mentioned! Anyway I wish I had your problem! Ha!
Good Luck!!

Enjoy!

Here's a delicious way to use them up:

Church Relish (Piccalilli)

4 cups ground green tomatoes
4 cups cabbage
4 cups onions
12 green peppers
6 red peppers
1 cup salt

Syrup:
4 cups sugar
4 cups vinegar
1 tablespoon celery seed
1 tablespoon mustard seed
1 tablespoon turmeric

Cut tomatoes and peppers; sprinkle with salt. Let stand overnight. Rinse and drain. Grind tomatoes, cabbage, onion, and peppers into pan.
Make syrup and boil 3 minutes; add measured mixture to boiling syurup. Cook thoroughly 5-10 minutes. Can hot.

*This is a very old recipe. Check your Ball Blue Book for processing time.

Green Tomatoe Mincemeat

I make Green Tomatoe Mincemeat with green tomatoes. No meat but you can't beat the taste. No one who has tried this has ever guessed that green tomatoes were used. Anyone want the recipe? Be glad to send it to you. By the way, I freeze it, no canning.

Lots of good ideas here already! I had never seen the oatmeal bars or the soup, will have to try IF we don't use what we have as fried green tomatoes. Here in Oklahoma, it's almost required that you have some at LEAST once a summer! But it's an acquired taste, I think, and if you didn't grow up with it, you might not care for it.

Normally I pick my tomatoes the evening of the first expected frost. I take them to the basement and line them up on top of newspaper on a table I have down there. I have had them ripen all the way to Thanksgiving that way. Granted, a few will rot, and the taste of the ones that ripen is not as good as if they had ripened on the vine. I heard of someone who uprooted the whole tomato plant, washed off all the dirt and tied the plant from her basement rafters upside down, then picked the tomatoes as they ripened. I never tried this, though.

I have pickled green tomatoes using my favorite dill pickle recipe and just substituting the green tomatoes for the cucumbers. Makes good Christmas gifts for those you know who like to try "different" things.

Check out this thread for some ideas. Imbedded in the thread (on page 1, posted by Constance), is an earlier thread with even more recipes http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f18/green-tomato-ideas-27410-2.html

I've made most of the recipes listed in both threads (all excellent!), except for the green tomato pound cake, which I will try this year.

I don't remember if Green Tomato Parmesan is listed in any of the threads, but I make that a lot. It may be even BETTER than eggplant parm!

Lee

Last edited:
Thanks MamaJones. I have tried to make fried green tomatoes for years and we never much cared for them. They were OK, but not something I wanted to repeat.

Thought I was doing something wrong. So changed the recipe and tried again. Tried cornmeal, the traditional flour, eggs, breadcrubs/cornmeal dredge, just flour, you name it. Would put some sugar on the slices and let sit prior to cooking. Cut the tomatoes thicker, thinner, heck, if I could think of something I did it.

No good.

I thought everyone loved fried green tomatoes. Thanks to you I realize it may be an aquired taste, one I am having trouble acquiring.

Am not trying to waylay this topic, was just glad to learn that maybe I was not cooking them wrong. Getting to green tomato season, so maybe I'll give it another go.

Am not holding my breath that we will like them though.

I've never canned food, but if I did, I'd make green tomato salsa (I'm making it now with the last of the tomato plants). Tomatoes, onions, garlic, green chilies (I have green chllies as well as green tomatoes, of course) Alas, no cilantro (it bolts in June, never to be seen again). Lime juice. Yummy.

What to do with green tomatoes

I like to make a green tomato salsa and can it. What I also do is to wrap tomatoes individually in newspaper and put them in a cold spot in my basement. They ripen at a slow rate and I have fresh tomatoes long after the frost here.:)

Back
Top Bottom