Green tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nanat

Assistant Cook
Hi All! Well my garden is playing out. Too dang hot. We went ahead and picked all the green tomatoes. I use to have a recipe for pickling them but can't find it. Anyone have a good recipe for pickled green tomatoes??:chef:

I know of some, but have never tried them. There are some that are more of a relish, too.
I was just thinking of some spectacular fried green tomatoes i had earlier this spring. They had a nice crunchy coating (like chicken fried steak: flour, egg, crumbs), then topped with jumbo lump crab meat, a bleu cheese remoulade, and drizzled with a reduced balsamic. mmmmmm.................

Just made these 7/1 - turned out great! Mixed in canteloupe that was picked too green as well - tasted like cucumber. Variations: Used seeded jalapeno slices out of the garden instead of red chilis. Sliced rather than wedged the tomatoes (1/2"), but did wedge the canteloupe... I did have to return all but 1 pint to the bath (step 9).

Kookie

Pickled Green Tomatoes

Ingredients
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, thinly sliced
3 lbs green tomatoes, cut into 1-inch wedges or left whole if small (about 9 medium)
3-6 garlic cloves
3-6 small red chilies
3 cups sugar
2 tablespoons coarse salt
4 cups cider vinegar
4 teaspoons mustard seeds
2 teaspoons whole cloves
2 teaspoons celery seeds
2 teaspoons whole allspice
Directions
In a large bowl, combine onion, bell pepper, and tomatoes.
Pack mixture into 3 (1-quart) or 6 (1-pint) canning jars. Place a garlic clove and a red chili in each jar, and set aside.
In a large saucepan, combine sugar, salt, vinegar, mustard seeds, cloves, celery seeds, and allspice. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; stir until sugar dissolves.
Pour mixture over produce, leaving a 1/2-inch space at the top of each jar.
Wipe rims of excess; screw on lids.
Bring a large stock pot of water to a boil. Using canning tongs, gently place jars in boiling water, making sure the water covers the jars (if not, add additional water to cover).
Let jars sit in gently simmering water for 10 minutes.
Remove; let cool slightly.
Check seal by pressing in center of lid. If it doesn't pop back, it is properly sealed. If it does, return jars to water for 10 more minutes.
Let sealed jars cool completely.
Let pickled tomatoes stand until flavors have melded, at least 2 weeks. Store unopened jars in a cool, dark place up to 6 months. Once opened, jars will keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.

Hi All! Well my garden is playing out. Too dang hot. We went ahead and picked all the green tomatoes. I use to have a recipe for pickling them but can't find it. Anyone have a good recipe for pickled green tomatoes??:chef:
Wanted to add: Don't give up on your tomatoes ripening!

We've had 32 days of 100 degree+ weather since mid-June, and I'm in the middle of a bountiful harvest!

I think the secret is in the watering...

Kookie

I love fried green tomatoes. It's hard to find green tomatoes in the store, but when I can, I usually buy a bunch and then go on a fried green tomato binge.

I love fried green tomatoes. It's hard to find green tomatoes in the store, but when I can, I usually buy a bunch and then go on a fried green tomato binge.

Birdmom? You may be in Texas, but I love you anyway.

Well the Texas thing is bogus as I like Texas, the fried green tomato is my love when available, and I exaggerated the love you thing, but I would be A *very* close friend if your green maters are good.

Here's an approximation of how I make them.

Sliced green matters, salt & pepper bunches, dip in an egg wash (one egg and a little milk), dip in AP flour, dip in egg again, than the floor.

Than gently drop into my iron skillet with a combo of hot veg oil, butter, and bacon grease. Wait a few minutes, turn again, then put them on paper towels.

Then head towards green fried tomato bliss. Only salt needed, or use a few on BLOTS (BLT with onions).

About that point, I pass out, so please make up the rest :)

Bob

Hi Bob! Your method is a little different. I usually just dredge the tomatoes in flour mixed with a little cornmeal, but I also use bacon grease. I wouldn't cook them in anything else! I'll have to try the egg wash one of these days. Another good way I like, is to make a batter of flour and club soda or beer, then coat and fry the tomatoes. It's good too! Like you, a little salt is all that's needed. Now you have me dying to get my hands on some green tomatoes!

I don't know where that recipe originated but "Let jars sit in gently simmering water for 10 minutes. Remove; let cool slightly. Check seal by pressing in center of lid. If it doesn't pop back, it is properly sealed. If it does, return jars to water for 10 more minutes" is not a safe procedure at all.

Jars must be .maintained in a rolling boil (212°F) for 10 minutes or the amount specified by the published and tested recipe in order to kill the bacteria and mold spores. "Simmering" is not hot enough to do it and is accomplishing nothing. The fact that a lid "seals" because of a slight temperature differential does not mean there is a correct vacuum inside the jar.

I don't know where that recipe originated but "Let jars sit in gently simmering water for 10 minutes. Remove; let cool slightly. Check seal by pressing in center of lid. If it doesn't pop back, it is properly sealed. If it does, return jars to water for 10 more minutes" is not a safe procedure at all.

Jars must be .maintained in a rolling boil (212°F) for 10 minutes or the amount specified by the published and tested recipe in order to kill the bacteria and mold spores. "Simmering" is not hot enough to do it and is accomplishing nothing. The fact that a lid "seals" because of a slight temperature differential does not mean there is a correct vacuum inside the jar.

Indeed, I always maintain a rolling boil!

I didn't even notice the "simmer" in this recipe that I found - I basically just check for ingredients...

Good catch! :)

Kookie

Thanks for the recipe Kookie! I put up 7 pt this weekend. They really look pretty! I hope they are as good as they look. LOL I also did a rolling boil for the 10 minutes. I did have 1 that I had to boil again. Oh, and I used red pepper flakes in stead of a whole pepper. The only ones I could find at the store were the great big dried ones. Thanks again.

I made fried green tomatoes over the weekend, topped with homemade salsa and pickled green tomato relish I had made a week or so ago.

They were excellent, until we ate the green habarneros that I had meant to remove from the relish but forgot. :shock:

Birdmom said:
Hi Bob! Your method is a little different. I usually just dredge the tomatoes in flour mixed with a little cornmeal, but I also use bacon grease. I wouldn't cook them in anything else!

Me too!! --- I will deviate and use P-Nut oil on occasion! Also like a hint of black pepper with the salt.;)

When tomatoes are coming out of my ears-I can sliced (very thick) slices of green tomatoes. I use the tomatoes that are perfect fitting in a pint canning jar-wide mouth, with vinegar and salt and water, then water bath. They are not as good as fresh (a little soggier) but they are a welcomed treat in the winter.

Thanks for the recipe Kookie! I put up 7 pt this weekend. They really look pretty! I hope they are as good as they look. LOL I also did a rolling boil for the 10 minutes. I did have 1 that I had to boil again. Oh, and I used red pepper flakes in stead of a whole pepper. The only ones I could find at the store were the great big dried ones. Thanks again.
The hardest part is waiting the 2 weeks to try them!

Well worth the wait though...

Kookie

Back
Top Bottom