GRRRRRR - Air Bubbles In My Jelly - Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puppy Breath

Assistant Cook
I live right smack-dab in the middle of cajun coun
I made one batch yesterday using Welch's White Grape Peach juice according to the Ball book using 4 cups juice, 1 pkg powdered pectin and 5 cups sugar.

They are full of air bubbles. I know it's ok, but how do you avoid air bubbles?
I then made a second batch using the same method but adding 1/4 cup lemon juice and the first jar is completely free of air bubbles, the second just a few and the remaining three each have a little more than the previous with the last jar being full of air bubbles. I tried holding the ladle close the bottom of the funnel, etc.

Does any have any tips on how they make their jelly "bubble free"?

TIA!

You might try the same thing they do to avoid too much foam when pouring beer:

Forget the funnel. Pour directly down the tilted side of the jar from the ladle while holding it over the pot. Top it off while level, a quick wipe with a warm, damp cloth at the rim and you should be bubble free.

It's just a thought.

Since the idea of the two-part canning lid is that air escapes through your water or pressure canner, getting those bubbles out is necessary for eye appeal and food safety.

After pouring the hot jelly into jars, stir with a wooden spoon or chopstick. Stirring will help release many of the bubbles.

Then, just assure you have the jars long enough in the canner. You can't really hurt the product by over-processing, but you can hurt people eating the product if you under-can.

Make sure the jars cool completely and that the lid is slightly concave and has no "play" when you press down on it. If the lid is not tight from the vacuum created, it needs to be refrigerated.

Home canning is a lot of fun, and brings healthier foods into your home.

Back
Top Bottom