Habanero Gold Jelly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loprraine

Executive Chef
Ol-Blue asked for this recipe.

I got this recipe from a pamphlet in a box of Bernardin Jars. They are the Canadian version of Ball Company. They have lots of great recips on their site, homecanning.ca or homecanning.com. Make sure you wear gloves when handling the habaneros!!!

1/3 C finely sliced dried apricots
3/4 C white vinegar (5% acidity)
1/4 C each: finely chopped red onion, red bell pepper, and seeded habaneros
3 C granulated sugar
1 pouch (85 ml) Bernardin liquid pectin

In large stainless steel pan, combine apricots and vinegar. Let stand at least 4 hours.

Add red onion, red peppers, habaneros, and sugar. Over high heat, stirring constantly, bring to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. Stir in pectin. Boil hard for 1 minute. Remove from heat, skim off foam, and stir to disperse peppers.

Ladle jelly into hot jars following manufacturers directions. Process in hot water bath 10 minutes.

Makes 6 X 125 ml jars, or 3 X 250 ml jars.

Looks very good! The apricot is interesting. Habs and fruit are a great combo.

I'd use about 4 times more habs though :devilish:

I'm not much of a jelly maker but when you use Certo liquid pectin you must use 7 cups of sugar or it won't set up correctly.

The first time I made it I followed the directions exactly and it set up beautifully. The second time I made it I doubled the apricots and it set up perfectly - both times were with Certo.

I've got more habaneros coming on, and some in the fridge. I've also got some dried mango and pineapple. I'm seeing another batch coming up! Lorraine we absolutely love this stuff!:chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom