Hard white spots in old canner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scubaddic

Assistant Cook
I recently came across a couple of very old metal canners that were going to be thrown out. They had not been used for anything other than canning. I salvaged a couple to use as pet waterers for my animals as the size is perfect for our 3 dogs. However, after a couple of months, I have started noticing some hard white spots growing on the inside and in trying to get them removed, the only way is to scrape them off with a knife. I have tried soaking the pots in bleach and vinegar to no avail and I do wash them regularly. We have fairly hard water where we live. Is this something I should be concerned about - is it just hard water buildup, or could it be something else given that the canner may have been made out of something different back in the olden days? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking [emoji2]

I'm fairly sure it's just calcium carbonate buildup from the hard water. I doubt it's anything to be concerned about.

I recently came across a couple of very old metal canners that were going to be thrown out. They had not been used for anything other than canning. I salvaged a couple to use as pet waterers for my animals as the size is perfect for our 3 dogs. However, after a couple of months, I have started noticing some hard white spots growing on the inside and in trying to get them removed, the only way is to scrape them off with a knife. I have tried soaking the pots in bleach and vinegar to no avail and I do wash them regularly. We have fairly hard water where we live. Is this something I should be concerned about - is it just hard water buildup, or could it be something else given that the canner may have been made out of something different back in the olden days? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have this canning pot that I've had for about 7 years or so.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Granite-...PpoE_QMFXqTWDsO82iUaAqKKEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

We've moved to an area that was very hard water, and I've
noticed the same thing.
I scrub mine out after each canning session with a 3M pad and then I got to think after your post scrub.

So I went searching the WWW and found this:

https://foodinjars.com/blog/canning-101-what-to-do-about-spotty-or-filmy-jars/

I know that I'll be using this method from now on, for sure.

I've got a similar problem with the decks of my hydroponic gardens. While I do have a whole house water filter and a water softener too, after month of growing a garden, stuff builds up on them. The company claims you can clean them with vinegar and water. But, it is a pain to get them clean and scrubbing is simply too difficult for my hands.

So...I've found a solution! I soak them in a solution of Citric Acid and they come out clean without a lot of scrubbing...or really any, if I soak them long enough. Some say to use CA and Baking Soda. It makes a nice bubbly bit for a minute, but I think the Baking Soda neutralizes the Citric Acid too much and doesn't let the CA do its thing?

Anyway,, similar & yet, completely different? Just thought I would throw it out there. Here's a picture of a recently soaked garden & I've got one soaking now. Didn't take before shots of either. Sorry!

IMG_5727.jpg

Thank you!

I didn't even think about it being calcium. That makes sense. That's a relief.
Thank you!

(For 2nd post reply:) These are hard spots (not like dish spots) that I can only get off via scraping with a knife. But I appreciate you doing some research for me. I do add vinegar as a rule already, and this canner is not active - just using as a pet water dish. I searched the internet to no avail; that is what led me to this forum.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom