HELP! Where to start?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What advice would you give someone wanting to try canning out? What should I start out with? Are there books or products you would suggest I start with? It seems like it would be a fun hobby to try.

Hi Shanna,
First I would like to ask is what are you doing up so early? Next, is a basic book, the "Ball, Blue Book of Canning". Most grocery stores have canning jars and lids so they are easy to come by.
Most foods are easily canned by boiling, other foods need to be canned under pressure. I would start with some type of jelly, as they only need pectin to produce a satisfying product.
Get started, and let me know whats cooking. Hope this helps, Joey.

The Ball Blue Book is a great resource!

I would also suggest that you do a google search on "small batch canning". You will find several articles, recipes and a couple of books on the subject. Look for recipes that can be done without a canner or that use the water bath method. If you enjoy canning then maybe move up to recipes that require a pressure canner. Don't be afraid to improvise on the basic equipment until you are sure this is something that you will continue to do. If you start out slowly you will be able to pick up some jars and equipment used from family, friends and thrift shops. You would be surprised how many people have a water bath canner or a case of jars in the basement just waiting for a new home! The only thing I would not skimp on is the lids, use fresh lids and follow the manufacturers directions to get a tight seal.

Canning is also a good way to preserve your family history. Talk to family and friends to see what recipes and memories they have, you'll be amazed at the stories they will come up with. Make a little booklet of those recipes and jot down the stories for future generations so they can have a tangible connection to the past.

Good luck!

is the apple season over in your area? If not, apple jelly, apple sauce are some options to start. +1 on the suggestion by S&P the Ball book is very good. lots of on line information. Check out any State college web site. here is one for UGA they have tons of info on garden and canning. Topics A-Z | CAES | UGA

Hi Shanna,
First I would like to ask is what are you doing up so early?

Hi Joey! My BF, also a Joe, works night and to be able to spend the most time together when he is home I stay up until he gets home that way we can sleep together instead of me being up and making noise when he is sleeping and vise versa.

is the apple season over in your area?

I have no idea! Lol. But I would love to have lots of no sugar added applesauce on hand instead of always buying my little 1/2 C prepackaged cups.

Last edited:
This is one of my favorite sites for canning information: http://foodinjars.com

She has two books out about canning. I have the first one and like it a lot. It explains the reasoning behind the steps and has a nice diagram for how to lay out your equipment.

The most important thing to remember is to follow the recipes exactly and don't substitute ingredients until you have a handle on the process. For example, some people decide it must be better to use fresh lemon juice rather than the bottled lemon juice specified in a recipe. The lemon juice is necessary to give the food the right level of acidity to make it safe and fresh lemon juice varies in its acidity level; it may or may not be safe.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom