Home canned pears and pear butter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
My friend, who lives in Mississippi, has a lot of fruit and nut trees in her yard, and this year, her pear trees produced big time!

We made a pear crisp from a quart of her canned pears, and was surprised to find that even after baking, the pears were still crunchy.
Her pear butter is even better than apple butter.

Constance said:
We made a pear crisp from a quart of her canned pears, and was surprised to find that even after baking, the pears were still crunchy.

Sounds like they may have been the old Kieffer (AKA Sand) pear. I love them and we put up four 5 gallon buckets of them this year...You can c0ok them forever and they want mush up.......

I canned 6 cases of Warren pear sauce this summer. The Warren pear is so sweet that no sweetener is necessary. I just core, cook until somewhat softened (about 15 minutes) and put it through my food mill to remove the skin.

We eat it most nights as a condiment with our dinner.

Shelly

Sounds like they may have been the old Kieffer (AKA Sand) pear. I love them and we put up four 5 gallon buckets of them this year...You can c0ok them forever and they want mush up.......

I believe you are right, Bob. They had been canned an then baked in a pie, and they still had a little crunch.

The pear butter sounds interesting. We love apple butter and pumpkin butter, so I would be curious to try this one. Anyone with a TNT recipe for it?

I made pear butter one time, about 8 years ago and it was sublime. My seckel tree was loaded that year and I canned about 30 pints of pear butter. Here is the recipe from Ball

20 medium pears (seckel's took way more)
4 cups sugar
1/3 cup orange juice
1 t. grated orange peel
1/2 t. nutmeg

Wash, core pears. Cook until soft adding only enough water to prevent sticking about 1/2 cup. Press through sieve

Combine pear pulp and sugar in a large saucepot, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add remaining ingredients. Cook until thick enough to round up on a spoon. As mixture thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking. Ladle hot into hot pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Process in BWB 10 minutes. Yield, 4 pints

As I do not have access to citrus, I keep orange, lemon and lime oil in the frig. I substituted 3 drops of orange oil for the juice and peel.

this stuff was heaven on biscuits, toast, cornbread, cereal, yogurt, custard, pert near anything..

I made pear butter one time, about 8 years ago and it was sublime. My seckel tree was loaded that year and I canned about 30 pints of pear butter. Here is the recipe from Ball

20 medium pears (seckel's took way more)
4 cups sugar
1/3 cup orange juice
1 t. grated orange peel
1/2 t. nutmeg

Wash, core pears. Cook until soft adding only enough water to prevent sticking about 1/2 cup. Press through sieve

Combine pear pulp and sugar in a large saucepot, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add remaining ingredients. Cook until thick enough to round up on a spoon. As mixture thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking. Ladle hot into hot pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Process in BWB 10 minutes. Yield, 4 pints

As I do not have access to citrus, I keep orange, lemon and lime oil in the frig. I substituted 3 drops of orange oil for the juice and peel.

this stuff was heaven on biscuits, toast, cornbread, cereal, yogurt, custard, pert near anything..

Very cool! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom