How to can beets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris629

Cook
I just cut the beet greens but also got some big beets.
I have never canned beets. So tell me how to do it from start to finish?
I am doing it in small batches since its just my dh that will eat them.
I don't want any flavoring or anything in them just plain.
Thanks for any advice!
Oh do I need to "skin" them at all or are they all good?

Chris, if you want them plain, you'll have to use a pressure canner, as they are a low acid vegie.
But if you want to pickle them, you can use the boiling water bath method.
Put your beets in a pot of water and boil until they are fork tender. Put on a pair of latex gloves if you don't want your hands to turn red, and rub the skin off under cold running water...it will slip off very easily. Slice the beets if they are large, and pack in sterilized jars.
Mix equal parts white vinegar, sugar and water in a kettle and bring to a boil. Let simmer a few minutes until sugar is dissolved. Pour hot liquid over beets, put on lids and put in boiling water bath. You'll need to do a search to see how long.
I've gotten real lazy about canning anymore, and I just put them all in a big jar and keep in my refrigerator. They last indefinately that way.
Sometimes I add a bit of mixed pickling spice to the vinegar mixture.

I don't have a pressure cooker. I will have to look to see if my walmart does. I had never needed it before but this is my first yr of seriously canning.

Chris, if you're going to get into serious canning, you need a pressure canner. Mine is a Presto that I bought on sale for $60 when I was in my 20's. That was a lot of money in 1972. They are about $100 now, but with maintenance, your cooker will last forever. The rubber sealers do have to be replaced every few years, but that's something you can do yourself for just a few dollars.
By the way, if you ever have to cook for a lot of people, your pot will make a LOT of chili.

Here's a website where you can get one:
http://www.galasource.com/prodDetail.cfm/26509

I always loved canning...it's so cool to see all those gleaming jars of produce from your garden. I suggest you also invest in the latest Ball Canning Book...it won't be expensive, and will give you all the info you need.

Have fun!

:)

WalMart has the Presto 23-qt Pressure Canner for $90. You can also do a google search and find other brands and sources, and the smaller Presto 18-qt model which is a few $$ cheaper. But, if it was me, I would go with the Presto 23-qt model. And, as Constance said - it also doubles as a pressure cooker.

The sealing ring and over pressure plug do need to be replaced every few years - but the set is usually only about $10. The presure plug alone is only about $2.5 - there are several sources on the web for the parts.

I'm with Constance - you need the Ball Blue Book on canning if you don't have it. If you follow it you'll never have to worry about your canned goods being safe to eat. The price can vary between $5 - $20 depending where you get it. Here is one place that sells it for $5: http://www.homecanning.com/usa/ALProducts.asp?CAT=479&P=2576

Happy Canning!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom