Is my tomato sauce safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sherryarnold

Assistant Cook
I have been using the same marinara sauce recipe for the last few years. It calls for you to put 1 T of vinegar in a pint jar before adding the sauce and processing. Last week I was in a hurry to bottle some sauce before heading to the airport. I forgot the vinegar until after putting the sauce in so I put it on top. After processing I ran to the airport. After returning a week later, I noticed that my sauce was darker at the top. I'd like to assume that it's just the vinegar that's done that, but wanted to be sure, so I called the Utah State Extension Service. They told me that the new requirements for acid are 1 T of commercial lemon juice, not vinegar. So they can't say that my sauce is safe at all.

Can anyone tell me if the discoloration is from the vinegar being on top (vs on the bottom) and if it's safe to use? If it has less acid than it should, is it completely unusable or do I just need to use it up faster? (in which case I may need to shre with my neighbors asap).

Help!

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking [emoji2]

I'm not sure why you would think we have better information than the Extension Service ;) Most of us here who can do so according to their guidelines.

I can only guess that the discoloration is from the vinegar; you probably wouldn't notice it on the bottom.

If it's not acidic enough, it's not shelf-stable. If it has been at room temperature for a week, and there isn't enough acid, it's not safe to eat.

I am a little confused about the commercial lemon juice vs. vinegar question, though. Both typically have 5% acidity, so I'm not sure why it would matter which one you use. I'd need to do some research on that.

Last edited:
I'm sorry if my question seems silly, but I'm just sick about all the work and tomatoes that will go to waste. I just thought that maybe someone had run into the same problem and received more/different info that might help me.

The extension service told me that I could minimize risk by re-boiling sauce for 15 minutes. And, of course, they certainly can't recommend using anything that wasn't done to their exact specifications (which also means lemon juice, not vinegar). But I wondered if there was anyone with more chemistry experience (the lady at the extension service said she would try to find out more info).

I have sauce from last year that I'm still using up but now I'm worried that I should throw it out. Or should I Just boil it?

When in doubt, throw it out! I don't mean to sound harsh, but it looks like you want someone here to justify your desire to use something that should be tossed. If you are really that dead set on keeping it, then try some. If you do or don't get sick, then you'll know.

No, I was looking for someone to confirm that freezing and then re-boiling might be a good option. Wow, when I joined to ask this question I saw the BE NICE comments in the agreement and figured this was a safe place to ask questions...even if they seem silly to someone else. But I guess not......

If toxins have developed, you might kill the bacteria, but the toxins will still remain. BTW, I said I didn't mean to sound harsh.

I have been using the same marinara sauce recipe for the last few years. It calls for you to put 1 T of vinegar in a pint jar before adding the sauce and processing. Last week I was in a hurry to bottle some sauce before heading to the airport. I forgot the vinegar until after putting the sauce in so I put it on top. After processing I ran to the airport. After returning a week later, I noticed that my sauce was darker at the top. I'd like to assume that it's just the vinegar that's done that, but wanted to be sure, so I called the Utah State Extension Service. They told me that the new requirements for acid are 1 T of commercial lemon juice, not vinegar. So they can't say that my sauce is safe at all.

Can anyone tell me if the discoloration is from the vinegar being on top (vs on the bottom) and if it's safe to use? If it has less acid than it should, is it completely unusable or do I just need to use it up faster? (in which case I may need to shre with my neighbors asap).

Help!

You've been told by the Extension Service that they aren't willing to say it's safe, yet you come on here asking mostly home cooks if it is (obviously hoping someone will so you can justify using it, why else would you ask?). Then, you get defensive and attack when called out on doing so.

I understand you hate the thought of wasting the tomatoes, time, etc, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet. Also, I would never share something with neighbors that is even remotely questionable.

I've made a few forays into charcuterie. The first time I cured and dried a piece of whole beef (bresola), I was scared to death to try it, much less let anybody else eat it. So, I womaned up and tried a couple of small pieces. Fortunately, I didn't get sick and it turned out quite nicely. You want to know that badly if your T sauce is safe, do the same.

Last edited:
What do you mean by processing? Would that be water bath canning, or pressure canning?

If so, and the seal took, it should be safe. Well, so long as the jars were sterilized.

If the seal popped, then you may have to chuck it.

Btw, I've always added vinegar or lemon juice to the top, after the jar is filled.

Hth. :)

Thanks for your kind response. I used water bath and yes, they did seal. But now I'm worried that I don't have enough acid in them (according to new standards by our state extension service). It's the same recipe I've used for the last 3 years, but of course I don't want this to be the first time (for me or anyone else).

Most tomatoes are fairly acidic, so if there was no meat or a lot of veggies involved that would raise the pH, and the jars were sterilized, and the seal took, it should be OK.

I would double check the seal after a little while. It'll pop if it's going bad.

CraigC, boiling WILL destroy the botulism toxins, It won't destroy the spores, but the spores are harmless until they grow in an anaerobic, low acid environment. You eat botulism spores all the time--they are pretty ubiquitous, in the air and in the soil.

Sherryarnold--I wouldn't worry about it. You put the vinegar in, which added acidity. The timing of the addition makes no difference. The darkening of the surface is not a problem. If you are worried, boil in an open pot before eating.

I work for Extension. I have assisted with more canning classes than I want to think about, and I have been canning forever.

Of course, if you are going to lose sleep over it, throw them away.

In Italy, the standard procedure for preserving fruits and vegetables is invariably by bottling. Most people have the jars warm ready to fill, and the sauces, fruits, some vegetables, are already cooked to a preserving temperature. The jars then go into a large pan/cauldron/very large boiling vessel, according to the quantities you're handling. Or you can prepare the fruits or vegetables in the cauldrons and then bottle followed by further heating of the bottled items. They invariably set the jars upside-down at the end, and leave them like that until they're cold. Somehow - I haven't a clue how, I'm not technical and nor am I a chemist or physacist, to me it's the Good Lord doing His works - but it works. meat like ham (Parma style) and other meats like salami are cured or simply air dried in a very dry, cool
atmosphere. It's not rocket science, but I would someone in the know to teach me!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Back
Top Bottom