Is there such a thing as sweet dilled bean pickles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abby

Assistant Cook
I've made two batches of the dilled pickled green beans & my family loves them. They would not wait 2 weeks to eat them but had to try them immediately. Thanks for the recipes. However, I do not like sour pickles.
Have you ever heard of a sweet pickles you can make from green beans?
I did a Google search but so far haven't found a recipe. Thanks.

I relate "sour" pickles to brined fermented ones, which is somewhat different from the usual "dill" pickles and dilled green pickles.

Here is a link to a "Sweet Pickled Green Bean" but its old and not up to modern standards for safety unless it is refrigerated.
Sweet Pickled Green Beans

I made 7 pints of dilly beans yesterday. We love those. I did try to search too for sweet sour beans from a university or extension office and found nothing too. I'd really like to find something sweet sour to use with beans, carrots, green tomatoes. If anyone finds a good recipe I'll be glad too. ~Bliss

I see no reason why you can't make sweet green beans. If you can make sweet pickles from cucumbers, why not just substitute green beans for the pickles and make them the same way? I never thought about it but you could be on to something good here. Give it a try.

I see no reason why you can't make sweet green beans. If you can make sweet pickles from cucumbers, why not just substitute green beans for the pickles and make them the same way? I never thought about it but you could be on to something good here. Give it a try.

I was thinking the same thing, DQ. Sounds great, actually!

Lee

If you seriously modify a valid and tested recipe, you are encouraged to get it retested by one of the extensions or other food preserving agencies to make sure you have not created an unsafe recipe.

Often there is a good reason why a particular recipe does not exist in the canning publications.

That is true to a point, Mcnerd, but as long as you follow the same method, there's no reason why you can't change the spices.
Try leaving out the dill and adding sugar. I'd start with 1/2 cup sugar to every cup of vinegar, then taste the liquid and go from there.

I was referring to changing the vegetable not the spices or seasoning. Just use green beans in place of cucumbers in the recipe for sweet pickles. BTW, my supermarket sells Sweet Pickles that also contain dill weed.

Call it a flavoring agent, then, or whatever you like. At any rate, adding sugar to the vinegar will not threaten the safety of the canned beans. I mentioned leaving out the dill because I'm not sure how it would taste with a sweeter pickled bean, but hey...whatever.

The reason I suggested using the same method as the original recipe is that green beans may not absorb the vinegar as quickly as cucumbers.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I added sugar to one batch of dilled green beans & sugar & pickling spices to another batch. I didn't really like either one. Altho I don't like sour pickles I still preferred the original recipe. It was fun experimenting. I think I'll stay with sweet cucumber pickles.

Back
Top Bottom