ISO help making a change in an existing recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lumpster1961

Assistant Cook
Hello folks good day to yall. I am new to canning. I found a mop sauce recipe my question is can i replace peaches for apples without effecting anything.Thank you

My opinion is that you probably can swap in apples and swap out peaches. Apples though cook differently than peaches because they have less water and more air. The air needs to be cooked out of apples to get a smooth sauce (assuming a mop is a sauce). So I would cook them down alone, then add them to your recipe.

Just peel them, core them, dice or slice, and dip in vitamin C and water (6000 mg/gallon), or fruit fresh and water, so they brown less. Then cook slowly at first, so the water comes out, steaming them, then cook and mash until smooth.

Just in case you are replacing the apples with peaches, the peach skins have the most intense flavor of the fruit. Remove the pits, and dice the peaches. Cook, adding other flavors as required, the blend to incorporate the skins smoothly into the sauce. As I don't know the rest of the sauce ingredients, I can't really help more. Understand that peaches are more tart than most apples, so adjust your recipe accordingly.

A peach mop would work very well with pork, poultry, duck, goat, venison, or lamb. It would also be good on rabbit.

Hope that helps.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom